How do you store your lavs?

enginufuk

Are the Trew blue boxes the same size as the old translucent white ones? I really like those, except I feel like they are a hair too small. I always feel like I would like a *little* more room in the mic area. I do really appreciate the accessory sections though. Especially when you consider what the metal mesh COS-11 or Sony ECM windscreens cost, it SUCKS to drop them in the dark in the woods or whatever. I bought a few of the COS-11 vampire clips and I think that's what happened to all but one of them.

For my COS-11, I have been using the stock box and use a little ziplock bag to keep all the accessories together. Not perfect, but a little safer.

I know some people said you can find those same accessory boxes at big box stores in the fishing department. I never had luck finding something a *little* bigger.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm currently using transparent wallets.

i put a cos-11 in each of the first 2 pockets and all the small accessories in the last.

the idea was:

~ something that wasn't a box with fiddly lids.

~ transparent for easy use in low light.

~ accessories don't bounce out of it if dropped or knocked.

~ folds into a square about the size of a cd box so easy to slip several of them in front pocket of bag or pouch.

~ if i need a box i put these wallets into a good quality, airtight, food container.

atb,

dan.

Dan- nice! I was thinking of something similar for little adapter cables. Some for audio adapters, some for DC adapters, some for TC cables. For example, I use a Zaxcom camera hop, and carry a bunch of DC cables to power the RX from different cameras, and it would be a quick way to make sure they are all with me when I pack for a job. Same goes for all the TC cables we need these days.

I came across this pouch a long time ago and it has been my best friend ever since. It is a simple padded lens/filter pouch for cameras. Each slot is the perfect size for a rolled up lav and each slot can fit multiple lavs if needed. Currently, I'm using this to store all 9-10 of my lavs. It then all folds together in a nice, protected and padded pouch perfect for travel. It also easily fits in a mixer bag if needed on the go.

post-1440-0-30306700-1356104723_thumb.jp

post-1440-0-44547700-1356104751_thumb.jp

I came across this pouch a long time ago and it has been my best friend ever since. It is a simple padded lens/filter pouch for cameras. Each slot is the perfect size for a rolled up lav and each slot can fit multiple lavs if needed. Currently, I'm using this to store all 9-10 of my lavs. It then all folds together in a nice, protected and padded pouch perfect for travel. It also easily fits in a mixer bag if needed on the go.

That's a great solution. All my plastic cases take up so much room in my bag. This seems to fold fairly flat. I don't have that many lavs so I could probably find one for fewer filters that will take up even less space. Nice idea.

That's a great solution. All my plastic cases take up so much room in my bag. This seems to fold fairly flat. I don't have that many lavs so I could probably find one for fewer filters that will take up even less space. Nice idea.

Even with it fully loaded it takes up very little space!

It's not in front of me right now, butbi would say about 8" long, 4" wide, 1" or so deep. It is all padded and squishy, great protection. Although the individual boxes were nice, I found them too clunky and too many of them to manage. This keeps everything in one place and protected.

I've been using small Otter Boxes. I can put two OST TL-40's plus a few koalas in one. I am VERY cautious each time I close them up to make sure I don't catch a cable in the very tight seal, though. I'm looking for a better answer.

That's just how I store them, though. When prepped for a shoot, I have the lav's prepared in a moleskin sandwich with topstick ready to go on the back, attached to Tx units which are rolled up in Neo Pax. The lav cable I roll up and sandwich between layers of the Neo Pax. I can fit two of these prepped units in the front pouch of my bag, and another 2 in the pockets of my cargo pants.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you find an item number or something on it Palmer? did a search on their website but dont see it. maybe they have moved on...

I don't see it on their site either. I found it here though and you could probably find it other places.

http://www.ecrater.com/p/13452053/lowepro-camera-lens-filter-pocket?gps=1

If you're in LA, the Japanese/Asian gadget stores (they usually sell action figures and bath and beauty items) have small two-sided clam shell boxes that are similar to the Trew boxes, but they've got a bit more room for the COS-11 and they stay closed much better. They're only 2 or 3 dollars to boot. You can get them in a few different sizes and colors too.

That said, it would be nice to have a larger box for numerous lavs, but I like having the small box of accessories and a spare lav in my bag. That filter bag and countryman wallet both look like excellent space-saving solutions for multiple lavs.

photo%203.JPGphoto%203.JPGphoto%203.JPGphoto%203.JPGphoto%203.JPGphoto%203.JPGJust decided to change it up myself. Made stops to the 'Container Store' and local military surplus place. Found this M.O.L.L.E. style pouch that I can clip to my belt and counterweigh my 788 a bit. Had enough room for accessories (in a AAA battery case) and tape/moleskin/etc. as well. Not pictured is the belt bungee with tape rolls. I also clip a gerber 'Dime' multi-tool via carabiner to my bag for cutting up tape, etc. That Lowel Pro wallet does look good though...

-TC

post-3347-0-50233300-1357330100_thumb.jp

post-3347-0-66701200-1357330107_thumb.jp

post-3347-0-57043200-1357330112_thumb.jp

post-3347-0-76972100-1357330118_thumb.jp