Best Actor/Actress Voice

VASI

A long time ago, I recorded Mel Blanc for a charity film. I put the mic over him, put my phones on and I heard the real Bugs Bunny say to me: "Ehhhhhhh, how's the sound, Doc?" There's an unforgettable voice.

Doh! I must be getting old, because I also recorded Mel Blanc for several commercials back in the late 1970s. I got to know his son Noel a little bit. Noel would come in, prop up his father in a chair, help with directing him, and we'd roll a few takes until Mel got tired. Noel told me some great stories, including how exhausting it was for his father to do the voice of Yosemite Sam -- which required Mel to get all worked up, angry, and (literally) red in the face.

Ted Cassidy ("Lurch the Butler" in the old Addams Family show) had one of the deepest, richest voices I ever heard. I actually coached him a little bit prior to a coffee commercial, and the producers were so impressed, they gave him the job on the spot and we recorded the commercial right then and there. Sadly, he passed away about six months later. The guy must've been 7 feet tall, at least (or seemed to be to me).

I remember PT Anderson's dad's voice from ABC when I was a kid. Very nice.

Ernie Anderson was quite a character. I often use him as an example of a guy who still had a "million-dollar voice," even if you recorded him on a $50 microphone! He actually sounded like that guy right in front of you: God-given pipes.

I wouldn't say he is my favorite voice to listen to, but I'm working with Russell Crowe right now, and his voice has great presence. Our first day with him had us literally swapping mics to see if the boom working opposite him had an issue. He moves a good amount of air even when he's mumbling.

William Hurt is also in this one. His first day with us, he asked a PA to bring him to the sound cart before coming to set. He introduced himself and said "Please don't hesitate to let me know if you need more level out of me".

Working with professionals who understand and appreciate the craft is fantastic.

I love working with stage actors, too... again, they just know how to project without sounding scream-y.

Of all the voices I've recorded...

+1 Peter O'Toole.

+1 Issac Hayes.

Donald Sutherland (despite his "issues")

Kevin Spacey

Willliam Hurt

Of all the voices I would like to record...

Morgan Freeman

Joe Pesci

Sean Connery

Judi Dench

I worked with Judi Dench recently she has a lovely voice and is a pleasure to work with.

You have a nice list William Hurt and Peter O'Toole having amazing voices I would love to work with them

A great thread for a few reflective moments before we enter this next year...

so, some of the more memorable voices I've recorded thus far:

Anne Archer, Antonio Banderas, Peter Coyote, Peter Dinklage, Sam Elliot, Miguel Ferrer, Angie Harmon, Salma Hayek, Samuel Jackson, Richard Jenkins, Harvey Keitel, Delroy Lindo, Ray Liotta, John Carroll Lynch, Annette O'Toole, Joe Pantoliano, Ving Rhames, Rusty Schwimmer, French Stewart, James Woods, Steve Zahn...

...a well-rounded, well-projected voice is a Sound Person's best friend. If I had to pick one so far... Peter Coyote -- I swear that guy could sound good even if the mic was in an adjacent room.

I almost got to work with Morgan Freeman -- hope I still get that chance. Here's to working - period - in 2013 : )

Cheers!

~tt

• 1 month later...

Ernie "Ghoulardi" Anderson

Ernie was a terror in the VO booth! But man, he had The Pipes of God. He had one of "those voices" that would sound good on a $79 mic -- though we always used a U87 on him. 

I also recorded Don LaFontaine many times, but didn't even remember until people started to make fun of those "in a world" commercials. I never recorded Hal Douglas (sometimes referred to as the "East coast Don LaFontaine"), but he was great, too: