The Sound of Nurse Jackie: An Afternoon with Jan McLaughlin & Steve Borne

Jack Norflus

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will put forward the idea of name tags tomorrow should they not have 'em. Good thought, Jack :)

Sorry I'll not see you, Pascal. Next time...

Burnout? Ha. Hope to meet Crew next month and learn about that from the chief.

Whit and Kathy are in town:

8393020935_140eba4de5_d.jpg

All I'll say is I greeted them at my place with fresh bagels and lox spread washed down with fresh Bloody Mary's, then on to lunch and Zaxcom World Headquarters for a tour. Wheeee!

I hear that seats are sold out. Let me know if you want to get in and can't.

Will put forward the idea of name tags tomorrow should they not have 'em. Good thought, Jack :)

Sorry I'll not see you, Pascal. Next time...

Burnout? Ha. Hope to meet Crew next month and learn about that from the chief.

Whit and Kathy are in town:

8393020935_140eba4de5_d.jpg

All I'll say is I greeted them at my place with fresh bagels and lox spread washed down with fresh Bloody Mary's, then on to lunch and Zaxcom World Headquarters for a tour. Wheeee!

I hear that seats are sold out. Let me know if you want to get in and can't.

Hi Jan,

We're shooting overnight tonight. So I haven't committed to RSVP-ing cause I'm not sure I would make it after getting home at 5am (did I mention we're outside in Times Square all night, as well?).

What's the protocol tomorrow? Will people be turned away at the door? Or if I can make it, can I stand in the back?

Thanks,

Josh

Hi Jan,

We're shooting overnight tonight. So I haven't committed to RSVP-ing cause I'm not sure I would make it after getting home at 5am (did I mention we're outside in Times Square all night, as well?).

What's the protocol tomorrow? Will people be turned away at the door? Or if I can make it, can I stand in the back?

Thanks,

Josh

He Josh,

Great to meet you and your crew last night. 

Whit

He Josh,

Great to meet you and your crew last night. 

Whit

Hey Whit,

I'm glad you and Kathy found us amongst the hubbub of street shooting. That was a fun surprise. 

Sorry I couldn't make it today, Jan. Wrapped just before 5am. Even though I prefer to slam into daytime a schedule after a Friday night shoot (to get ready for Monday morning), there was a chance I would've deliriously gotten myself lost on the way back into Manhattan.

Josh

Yes, Jack, it turned out to be a fine, fine day.

Rewarding. Terrifying. Exhilarating. Heartwarming.

And I really do enjoy a sake buzz in the company of friends from time to time :)

I got more out of the experience than expected in every way.

Best work-related learning for me was that the signal chain held for the extreme whisper-to-scream scene, and that I need to troubleshoot the cans :) Been sweating that for more than a year! Whoot!

Next best, was to learn that Steve listens to ALL the tracks and does in fact read the sound reports.

Finally, to actually spend time with Steve and grow the feedback loop.

Best personally, was how many colleagues came out: most of 'em from here. Proof positive of the strength of our JWSound community and that I actually have a place in it. Those who couldn't attend wrote, called, texted. Feel rather  wonderfully held. Yeah.

Hope Whit will post the JWSound afterparty portrait here in due course.

Our post team was also well represented, including our Post Production Producer, one each of our fine Editors and Assistant Editors.

Peter and Jim's team at Gotham handled the thing with absolute professionalism. The house sound system was pretty darned good, as was the room. The screen was crispy and plenty large enough to see. SVA theater team also pro, among them a young lady who aspires to do what we do. Her grin on meeting allowed me a peek into the future wrapped in the historical context of our female gender in this industry.

They say the presentation video will be online +- next Thursday.

Proud and happy to have a place at the table among you.

Jan, it was great to meet you!

Missed the after party and meeting more soundies,   :(  went uptown to the Morgan Library after the show with my girlfriend. Was a great look into the process.

Be sure to stop at the Jan McLaughlin souvenir booth in the lobby to get your "Sounds Good" tee shirts, autographed pictures and a copy of her latest book called "How Bunny Made me a Better Mixer." Due to a previous comittment "Bunny" will not be there.

Eric

Was looking for this but could not find... is there a way to otherwise obtain these items? :mellow:

Appreciate the hard work of all involved, the video will surely be a great reference for the RIGHT way to do things...

Ken

Jan,

What a great job! You and Steve were wonderful. Kathy and I thank you for everything! What a great gathering after words with everyone.  I had never had a "Sake Bomb" before. Although Colleen seemed to be the expert on those. It was a great trip to NY. Thanks for all of the NY/NJ hospitality. We really enjoyed getting to know you even more my friend. 

Everyone should check out the vide and make the Pledge that Steve made the audience take! That was great!

Cheers,

Whit & Kathy

As a follow up post. Jan's outline on how to organize you job, workflow, relationship with crew, post, what questions to ask in an interview and so on...  Please check out the video from the seminar there are many things to be learned even for some of us veterans in sound.

Cheers,

Whit

Hey folks, 

It was good seeing some of you at this event. I really learned a lot. I actually got a little star struck seeing Glenn Sanders of Zaxcom. Is that weird? As a guy who does mostly docs it was great to see how the other half lives. I wish I could have spent some more time with you all, but I had to leave right afterword.

Can we do this again sometime?

Jan, I liked what you said about everyone being a "Friend of Sound". It is an important thing to remember. I usually work in very small crews and I have come to learn that a good sound person's biggest skill is inter-personal relationships. Everything else is just problem solving and making the best of what you have. 

Also can we organize a semi-constant meet-up (drink-up) for NY sound folks? Does one already exist? Can I get invited. I would love to learn some more.

Thanks,

Ben