2012 Best Purchase/Gear List?

acdave

Did I miss this list for 2012?

Or has it not happened yet? I doubt that it's an annual thing, but I just stumbled across the 2011 version and it was a good read.

With the holidays and the end of year tax write-off purchases in full swing, I figured somebody would start a list of some sort.

I've just bought little stuff and backups this year and am on the fence about a 664. Want it, but not sure I can use it/justify it/pay it off in my market, doing the work I normally do.

Anybody, anybody?

Dave Wendlinger

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just starting to build my kit. Got SD 664, Cinela Piano and Sanken CS3E this year. I love each one of them and just can't decide which one is the best purchase.

Looking forward to getting 2 channels of proper wireless mics next year, but I'm having a really difficult time trying to decide which brand to buy. Probably Lectrosonics, but I've been very impressed with Sony DWX series too.

Insert patronizing comment here:

The $20 donation to JWsound ^_^

Okay... aside from that, I hope those who bought gear from me on this site are very happy they did... and I'd like to report that I've had a great experience from all those who sold gear to me. 3 Lectro 100s sold and replaced with Lectro 210-211.

And one of my favorite buys of 2012 is a new CS3e... which really is a magic mic.

Bought a load of gear in 2012 but if I had an award to give, that'd be to the MixPre-D; what a wonderful well-thought and well-built little piece of equipment. In general, I've been using it for additionnal inputs.

I'd probably use it every day if it had 4 inputs,TC and 2 track recording...

Best 2012 purchase for me has to be the SD 664. It just arrived a few days ago, so I'm still getting up to speed with it. Seems perfect for me: very capable, but simpler and lighter than the SD 700 series. I have a SD 442 and a 302, but I never bought the 552, even though I wanted the additional capacity. I never liked the idea of having a recorder without a display: too many perimeters to set with only blinking LED's and voice prompts. The TV work I do hasn't usually called for iso track recording, but I hope to start pushing the concept. Even if I'm not using the full capabilities of the recorder, it's still a great mixer/back-up recorder for my work, with a great display. Excellent manual, too.