2012 Best Purchase/Gear List?

acdave

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so much this yr in the way of fancy soundie hardware (I do like my remade leaner-meaner rigs though, but the same gear as before)--the biggy for me was a work vehicle, Ford Transit Connect. Nice taking off for jobs w/o worries about getting there! In my 2012 drive for simplification I also subtracted a huge amount of gear and cable and racks etc from my studio, nice to have the room and a much simpler signal path. And big props to JoeCo (swapping me out my balky BBR for another even though the warranty had expired) and PMC (very reasonably priced upgrade of my studio monitors to the current version after an amp in one of my old ones died). Gotta love English technology!

philp

My Nomad 6 (now a 10) came this year (but was technically bought LAST year).

Other than that, I'd say my best purchase was my QRX100 with 2 TRX900LTs. The zaxnet controls and internal records have changed the way I work, in a very good way.

Or possibly my comtek 216's which VERY quickly paid themselves off and now just make me money. Not as sexy, but a beautiful thing.

My 2013 list already has another QRX100 and two TRX900LTH's (or LA's) penciled in....

I moved up from my old Soundfield ST250 to an ST450, thanks to Ken Giles at Soundfield. At the other end of the scale, I bought a pair of Karma-Mic Silver Bullet mics for $35 which saved my butt the first time I used them.

And I continue to relish the advice and information that this list provides.

Best wishes for the New Year,

John

I'm on the lower end of this industry, and about 40% of my work is in music.

Sound Devices 702T - a welcome upgrade from the HD-P2 (not to throw that machine under the bus)

Sennheiser MKH40 - great on a boom and on acoustic guitar

Audio Technica 825 - Perfect x/y mic for metal/hardcore shows, mainly for its tolerance of high SPLs and beer spillage