For SM transmitter users- silver grease

LarryF

Larry are the directions on-line?

Hi Jack,

They are written, illustrated and will be inserted into the manual, both printed and on line in a week or so. The complete directions are being packed with all vials at the moment. This includes those sent out for previous buyers of SM's and those vials packed with all new SM's. I can post a PDF here on Monday if you need it sooner.

Best Regards,

Larry F

Lectro

Hi James,

Email me at larryf@lectrosonics.com with the dealer and your mailing address. I'll get you some silver paste and also see if we can't gently excite the dealer a little. Emails were sent to dealers before I posted here but it takes time for it to trickle down to everyone. And sometimes the trickle sinks into the desert sand before it gets to the mainstream. This a customer support issue and therefore comes under the Necessary and Sacred Section of our dealer agreement. A little joking there but not completely.

Best Regards,

Larry F

Lectro

Hi Larry,

Have you seen the voltage drop happen with the MM 400b 's? The threads on all of the battery covers on mine were about as filthy as the threads on my SM's. Although I have noticed that my MM's have always lasted longer than my SM...

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

Hi Brent,

It hasn't been a problem probably because the thread contact surface on the MM is 10 (?) times greater than on the SM. The MM has both bigger diameter and much larger thread depth. I'll ask the repair crew if they have seen or heard of even a single instance on the MM. The silver paste won't hurt the MM as long as you use just a speck. The liquid in the silver suspension is silicone and it will soften (dissolve) the MM silicone o-ring if gross quantities get on the o-ring. Use a little of the supplied Vaseline on that o-ring though the o-ring will work fine dry.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

• 2 months later...

I have been on the road for the past couple of months and have suddenly started experiencing less life in my batteries at about 50%. My best guess is this issue discussed here, although I still have the problem despite cleaning the threads. I've been trying to find conductive grease but have been unsuccessful despite all odds, and all mechanical parts dealers and auto zone type retailers suggest dielectric grease, even though from what I understand it is the opposite of what I need. I managed to find this at a RadioShack and was wondering if it is the same thing that Lectro is shipping out disguised under a different name?

No. You can tell when it is the correct silver grease because it will claim to have 100% silver in a silicon base and it will be between $25 and $50 for 6.5 grams (1/4 oz). We will ship you some if we have an address, etc.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectro

• 4 months later...

how can I get it in Thailand

Hi Butr,

I posted to this thread about Thailand and your previous request but I think it got lost in the site shutdown. Anyway, send your mailing address to me at

larryf@lectrosonics.com

and we will mail you a couple vials. The sales department says it shouldn't be a problem, though it may take a little while.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

• 5 years later...
8 minutes ago, Ben B said:

Hi Larry,

I am reviving this thread in hope to find some Silver paste for me too. I asked the importer here in Switzerland but they knew nothing about that... Would it be possible to have some sent to me?

Thanks a lot.

Benoit

I will contact the factory to get some silver paste to you and to bring the importer up to date on the silver paste. Who is the importer? We will be discrete.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

22 minutes ago, LarryF said:

I will contact the factory to get some silver paste to you and to bring the importer up to date on the silver paste. Who is the importer? We will be discrete.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

I also spoke to an importer once about the app silver paste and they said that it was „over-rated“. 

7 minutes ago, Constantin said:

I also spoke to an importer once about the app silver paste and they said that it was „over-rated“. 

Hi Constantin,

There are three possibilities:

1. They didn't clean the threads properly (wipe both threads with a clean fuzzy cloth until no marks come off onto the cloth).

2. They used fake "silver" colored heat sink grease instead of the electrically conductive, metallic silver grease.

3. The Lectro crew has no real understanding of how to maintain the product since it's made in Lower Slobbovia and the crew only sees the snow covered shipping containers.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

2 hours ago, LarryF said:

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Hi Larry, Thanks for your quick reply. I have to correct my previous comment because the importer sent me an email an hour ago saying he does indeed have some and will provide me with some of his.

The dealer was very responsive and Karl at the plant contacted them to make sure the dealer had the silver paste. The dealer said you were coming by for some SNA antennas and would give the paste to you then. It only takes a pinhead of silver grease if the threads are clean. Excess silver paste will attract dirt. To any other users, you can contact service at Lectro to get a small vial (and I mean small) at no charge. We are happy to supply vials at no charge to dealers so they can keep some in stock for customers.

If you want a 500 year supply, this is the correct stuff.  https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/chemtronics/CW7100/CW7100-ND/307001

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher