my Senny 50 is getting a lot of interference, anyone with the same trouble?

stefanosound

The 50s built with gold XLR pins are equipped with a newer chassis which is better at handling RF interference. Sennheiser offered a modification to older 50s which improved them but was not as good as the new chassis. It was a "shield" of some sort. I had this done to two mics, but still encountered interference occasionally. I had the whole chassis replaced on both mics and VERY rarely I'll get a little swishy sound. I swap to another 50 and it's gone.

In a truly abusive RF environment, you just have to pull out the 416. Don't leave home without it.

Get the mic modded. I am currently in the process of rf proofing all my cables. I am changing all major signal path XLR connectors to EMC Connectors, I am also tying the shield to the shell in every connector and using starquad for anything less than 50 ft(boom poles and cart interconnects). This in turn with proper frequency coordination should give me a very RF rugged bag. My only snag so far right angle EMC connections for the top of the boom pole.

I have also had terrible interference with my MKH50, it was just down the hill from the Antennas on MT wilson, so I am chalking it up to that, My mkh60 also had issues, but the 416 was fine. Mine has gold XLR contacts so I assume it is current with RF shielding (got it second hand as well) but I have heard the color of the XLR pins does not guarantee if it has the current RF shielding or not.

Also experience the occasional interference with my mkh50, It's relatively new with the gold connectors and I keep thinking I may send it back, but I think they are more sensitive to RF interference then other short shotguns. It's still my favorite sounding mic on a boom but I don't leave home without the 416 back up for this very reason.

" i always thought the 416 and 50 were built the same in regards to RF. can anyone elaborate a little more? "

way incorrect!

the MKH-60 was to be the next 416, which was to go away, much as the 816 finally did.

different, newer technology in that whole series, and also built to be quieter, and lighter. (original MKH-60's and 70's were lighter than the newer, modded ones, as additional metal (and its weight) were required to resist interference.