Nomad fader issues

AlisonGrayson

Hey all,

I recently had to send my Nomad back to factory for phantom issues and the screen upgrade and since it's returned, I've been having issues with the fader nobs. They're only affecting the output levels. I often work in situations where I'm recording only in unit and not sending any audio out, so having full control on the inputs/card records is particularly important to me.

I had just gotten an upgrade code so they changed it from a 4 to a Light at the factory (not sure if that may be relevant). It came back with firmware that kept freezing on me, so I downgraded it to 4.22, factory reset, and still had issues- I reverted to 3.13 (which I never had any issues with), and then tried 4.42, all with factory resets and all with the same issue. I can still adjust individual track gain in the setting menus, but faders are only affecting output levels.

My fader assigns are also the way I've always had them, with fader 1 assigned with A to track 1, etc. I have no idea if there's a setting if I'm overlooking, or if something wonky may have happened at the shop. Zaxcom is still closed for an extended holiday, so I'm scrambling to get this figured out before a job on Sunday. I've posted to the Zaxcom forums as well, but any input would be appreciated!

-Alison

First regarding the freezing issue I recommend upgrading to version 4.45.

That should fix that.

When you say the fader is only affecting the output level - I'm guessing you are referring to the fader not adjusting the card tracks?

If so the card tracks are being recorded pre-fade thus the fader will have no affect. You can route the tracks to an output bus then record the busses on a card track to record post fade tracks.

Or make sure you have an X at the cross points in the card tracks buss for your inputs. This refers to the input being bussed to the track post fader. If there is a P than you're going prefader.

Make sure you're not loading your user presets from a previous version as well. This can cause problems. I would also reformat your cards in the new firmware before using them. I feel that any chance of older firmware being in the system in any manner could cause a problem. I've been doing this since I first got my Nomad over a Year ago, and I've had very few problems.

Cheers

Or make sure you have an X at the cross points in the card tracks buss for your inputs. This refers to the input being bussed to the track post fader. If there is a P than you're going prefader.

Alison is using a nomad lite and the lite doesn't have card track mix busses. The lite has a record routing menu instead.

Thanks guys! I now have my outbus assigned 1 to Out1, 2 to Out2, etc, and the Record Routings are set to the respected Outs, and the faders are acting how I expect them to.

I'm not sure how much I'm digging the Lite set up- I'll have to re configure my set ups on jobs where I'm sending a 2 channel mixdowns to cameras and recording in unit, and the Nomad4 did this pretty effortlessly. I guess it's more incentive to save up and upgrade to 10.

The Nomad Lite and its mixing to only the six record/output busses and recording of any prefader isolated input was a responce to those who wanted simplicity over features. With this simple recording configuration we were able to provide 6 mix busses and ten track recording at a compeditive price.

I can certainly see where the full infinte mix capability of the Nomad 10 and 12 with 16 and 18 mix busses respectivly would always provide a no compromise solution and one that you can certainly upgrade to. If you want to upgrade to a Nomad 10 or go back to a 4 give me a call and we will see what we can do for you.

Glenn

The Nomad Lite and its mixing to only the six record/output busses and recording of any prefader isolated input was a responce to those who wanted simplicity over features. With this simple recording configuration we were able to provide 6 mix busses and ten track recording at a compeditive price.

I can certainly see where the full infinte mix capability of the Nomad 10 and 12 with 16 and 18 mix busses respectivly would always provide a no compromise solution and one that you can certainly upgrade to. If you want to upgrade to a Nomad 10 or go back to a 4 give me a call and we will see what we can do for you.

Glenn

Thanks Glenn. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me in the future for an upgrade. I'm only in the first few years of my career, and I love that the Nomad is something that can grow with me- makes it a great investment!