Best Comedy Show on TV.. hands down.

Richard Ragon

• 3 weeks later...

I just watched my first two episodes of Portlandia, and I found it quite a funny show.

Unfortunately, it seems they haven't acquainted their sound department with the boom mic - everything seems to be done with lavs, and there's quite a bit of noise coming from them. I get that it's a low budget show, but it's quite distracting - I get the impression the production doesn't care about the quality of the sound…

BK

To be fair i only saw a few episodes, but That drove me nuts too. It can't be too low budget to hire a proper sound mixer, or not to give them time to do their job properly. In contrast, Louie seems low budget and quick and dirty and they have a sound department that gets the job done, on location, in NYC.

• 2 weeks later...

Tamsin Greig (pronounce it "greg") is one of my favourite people. She's also an award-winning Shakespearean actor and a recurring character in a long-running radio soap about farming here in the UK. For more Tamsin and Mangan, see a series called Green Wing, and for some completely bonkers Tamsin, see another series called Black Books.

She's also a very nice lady.

John

Tamsin Greig (pronounce it "greg") is one of my favourite people. She's also an award-winning Shakespearean actor and a recurring character in a long-running radio soap about farming here in the UK. For more Tamsin and Mangan, see a series called Green Wing, and for some completely bonkers Tamsin, see another series called Black Books.

She's also a very nice lady.

John

Blacks Books is one of my all-time favourite brit-coms. 

Can't wait to see this one. Looks bloody brilliant. ;)

I just watched my first two episodes of Portlandia, and I found it quite a funny show.

Unfortunately, it seems they haven't acquainted their sound department with the boom mic - everything seems to be done with lavs, and there's quite a bit of noise coming from them. I get that it's a low budget show, but it's quite distracting - I get the impression the production doesn't care about the quality of the sound…

BK

Funny, I always thought Portlandia to have very good sound, even though they rely mostly on lavs. It often sounds so thick and clean that I wonder if it's ADR but then it seems like there's a lot of improv so it can't really be... I suppose the lack of boom in the mix is due to the show's format. They interact and improvise a lot and I'm sure they shoot everything with at least two cams. Compared to many higher budget drama shows, Californication for example, Portlandia sounds very well done to me. Could be the quality of post, too...

Being compared to Louie, Richard, may not be the best thing where looks are concerned, but the guy is very funny and intelligent for sure, so don't be offended :)

Louie sounds really good to me too, by the way.