mackie onyx 1200f

curious if anyone is using this and/or know if its compatible with boomrecorder or metacorder.

http://www.mackie.com/products/1200f/index.html

i thought the different routing options were neat. it seams that, if for some reason their is a computer issue, the routings will still work as well as the main outs. backup recorder and all the vairous feeds/ sends "should" work. thoughts?

Hey Graham, I use the Onyx 1640 w the firewire card and I track w it to boom recorder on my G 4 Mac laptop and record 8 channels on the Digi002 rack picking off the channels I want from the Onyx. Works well in my home studio. I'm not sure what it would be like on location. Sorry I have no direct answer to your question, but this maybe of some service.

CrewC

There are quite a lot of people using Mackie products, notably the 1640 w/Firewire that Crew mentions, also the smaller 1240, but I don't know anyone who has used the 1200F. The 1200F, a rackmount unit, I am sure uses a lot of the same technology that is used in the successful mixer lineup, and seems to add a whole lot more I/O and sync options (word clock, etc.). It does not appear that it would serve as a MIXER since the gain pots on the front are probably input trims only. If the unit were to be used only for solo iso pre-fader recording this should work just fine, and I suppose you could use the Direct Outs to feed another mixer should you wish to "mix" to another recorder / device.

-  Jeff Wexler

Short answer is I don't clock anything. I haven't heard any drift, but most of my bands do 2.5 to 4 min songs so maybe I am lucky so far... When I import wav files, of drums mostly, into protools from the drive that has my BoomRecorder files, they all line up on the count in. Same as when I did it using my Deva 4 as the extra track/drum recorder. I just looked and there is no clocking connectors on the Onyx or my Digi002 rack. Wish I knew the answer. Thats why I hang out at this fine establishment, so the smart guys can provide the answers.

CrewC

Short answer is I don't clock anything. I haven't heard any drift, but most of my bands do 2.5 to 4 min songs so maybe I am lucky so far... When I import wav files, of drums mostly, into protools from the drive that has my BoomRecorder files, they all line up on the count in. Same as when I did it using my Deva 4 as the extra track/drum recorder. I just looked and there is no clocking connectors on the Onyx or my Digi002 rack. Wish I knew the answer. Thats why I hang out at this fine establishment, so the smart guys can provide the answers.

CrewC

W/ MOTU gear I never had any problematic drift until after 10 min or so, and that was trying to sync w/ a video camera.  Even prosumer digital stuff (like MOTU) seems accurate enough for song length tracks on its own.

Philip Perkins