iPower 9 volts swelling...

dsound

Just curious...are there any other users experiencing swelling with their iPower 520mAh 9 volt batteries after some use? My batteries are about a year old and this seems to be a common issue with this brand. I know after some extended cycling the batteries will diminish their specs, but the swelling has caused a sizing issue when using them in my Comteks and Lectros. Any ideas or similar experiences from end users?

Thanks,

D

The 520's were better about swelling than the older iPower 500's. The batteries are probably getting long in the tooth and should simply be replaced. As I understand it, every time the batteries are charged and discharged the transfer of the lithium ions back and forth cracks the substrates a little more and more since the lithium atom is larger than the carbon atoms in the carbon substrate. Therefore the battery swells. This is the failure mechanism of Li-Ion rechargeables. I don't pretend to know that much about it but that's what I remember reading.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

I wish Larry's answers weren't always so general... it would be great if he could be more specific. Thankfully he does use some pretty big words, like "substrate", so I guess I'll give him a pass.

Hi Jeff,

Well, transubstantiation of the lithium just sounded wrong.

LEF