UGH, Red Epic wireless input cables

Devendra Cleary

Yeah, I've been seeing this camera enough to warrant building dedicated cables from my usual receiver units. Sometimes I feed using a Zaxcom TRX900s and sometimes from a Lectro R1a. Depends on the camera assistant. I prefer using the Zax for the higher quality but can't always sell it to the 1st AC. Either way here are my new cables for the Epic...

post-754-135734893192.jpg

If you're wiring up some of these yourself and are confused with the specs, don't worry you're not dumb it's just confusing. Basically consider the 1/8" mini jack a miniaturized XLR connector. It is balanced. There are two, one for left and one for right.

Tip is +HOT

Ring is -COLD

Sleeve is GROUND

Happy soldering. Stay ventilated :)

-Devendra Cleary, CAS

Hi, Devendra. I went a step further: I had the guys at Wilcox make me a stereo set of TA3 -> balanced 3.5mm cables:

RedEpiccable_zpsfbc5e5a9.jpg

These work perfectly with a Lectro SRa receiver (and soon, the SRb!). It was my idea to go with right-angle 3.5mm connectors, which fit the front of the infernal Epic much more neatly.

The Epic only has mic level at this input (at least, the last time I checked the firmware upgrades), so I just pad down the SRa about -30dB or so so that a -20dB level reads mid-way on the Epic audio meter, which is about -20dB in Red-land. I also have a second cable that's just mono (used as a backup); I generally only feed mono to the camera anyway, and view it strictly as a scratch track.

• 1 month later...

I've read on a few of these forums involving the Epic that the 1/8" out from the G3's would not pass any audio to the Epic as they are currently wired.  One posted wrote that you have to bridge the ring and sleeve on the Epic end.  Does that make sense?  I thought it was a balanced input.

The supplied g3 cable will not work with Epic/Scarlet as it is dual mono. No matter the menu setting in the camera, it is seen as a balanced feed and as both sides are in the same phase, the camera cancels them out - at least this is what I assume is happening.

The Epic input is balanced, the cable is not.

Build an unbalanced mono cable to feed via the G3, or use the XLR cable out and hook into an A-box (if available).