Bizarre sync issue with PT and Video ref from AVID & AAF export both supposedly 23.98?

jgbsound

I was posting just prior about importing from a AAF/OMF and the files were read-only so I fixed that issue (or I should say, you all helped me resolve that problem).

Now I just realized that (after editing for awhile), the sync is drifting.

What's bizarre about it is if I look at the video reference in Quicktime, within the inspector window, it says the frame rate is 23.98, playback also 23.98

So, I import it into protools, but protools claims it's true 24. The mixed down reference audio matches the video and stays in sync.

However, when I import the AAF/OMF file, it claims it's 23.98, and all those tracks are fall out of sync.

has anyone experienced this before and what did you do to resolve your situation?

Thanks for your guidance.

jgbsound

UPDATE:

I was talking to the editor and he seems to recall there was a problem with the AVID export, He claimed that when you downrez the HD video to 720 (easier playback for my system) it screwed up the timecode reference.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

he's reexporting at dvd quality in hopes that this will solve the problem.

Sometimes Pro Tools rejects 23.976 video that I created via export from Quicktime. I trust Pro Tools' telling me the video framerate over Quicktime.

The video must match the Pro Tools session framerate or you won't be able to import the video. It sounds like the AAF/OMF was stamped at an incorrect framerate and PT resampled it to "match" the video? In any case, it's not an audio issue, it's a picture editor issue.

Mark O.

I talked to the editor finally and he seems to think it has to do with down rezing the HD to 720 (makes it easier for me to play back). Apparently Media composer messes up the video frame rate sync.

He's going to try it at a different Rez and see if it fixes the problem.

As a test I dropped it into After Effects, premiere, and Final cut and all complain its true 24 for some reason.

Only Quick time says its 23.976

It's got to be the video export from MC. Of course I'm still not sure why I have to be editorials tech support!!! ;-)

Keep you guys posted?

When I get these errors, I just bring in the audio first, Bring in the video and eyeball it. Unless there is a drop non drop frame issue, the head and tail should sync fine. These small errors happen all the bloody time. I'm shocked when the OMF and reference movie actually sync up when I drop them in.

I'm glad to hear that others have experienced the same things. I went to the editor's place last night and we did a re-export in the QT Avid native codec which did sync to the AAF, though an offset in the AAF data got applied somehow so everything was off by a few seconds.

Nothing a manual scoot couldn't fix.

Thanks guys for all the support.

I think I can safely stop wetting my bed now... ;-)