Pimp my H2n

Tom Visser

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...a few components dummy loaded. The Vishay potentiometer is screwing me a bit, the specs sheet for it is clearly wrong, dimension-wise. I think I can make it work by just forcing the pins to bend in place - but have to keep the component from lifting off of the PCB surface though otherwise the panel will not sit correctly.

post-1336-0-29477900-1359069656_thumb.jp

This is fascinating, looking forward to seeing how it turns out!  Good luck!

I had this idea also a few years back when I bought an H2.  Seemed like It might be possible to stuff all the guts into a project box and orient the screen and interface on the top surface and put the connectors including some beefier connections for line inputs and power on the bottom.  Make it bag friendlier..  Maybe even incorporating the 4ch line input mod that is floating around out on the internet.  Of course, I never bothered actually trying it!  I did rip my H2 apart for kicks though.  Put it back together and it still works!  

Tom, are those fuses you're adding to the bottom or 1/4" connectors?  (the large cylinders)

If you can work all the kinks out maybe you could sell conversion kits.  I'd probably buy one (assuming it costed less than a Zaxcom ZFR).

They are actually AA battery holders. I figured I had better keep the battery design and not just use a DC input - fail safe. The H2n can last a couple of days on a set of batteries, so probably not something you would ever realistically have to change in the middle of the day.

The thought of selling kits occurred to me, but it's certainly not going to be " cheap". My prime motivation is just to get something that works for me like the way that I want it to. If I could sell a few kits to help recoupe some of my expenses - that would be great. Make a profit, ha - doubt it, there's probably only a handful of people who would be willing to pay a couple hundred dollars for a bit of metal and some switches.

I did in fact order quite a few PCBs. The cost differential between 1 board and a small production run was not so great so was a no brainer.

Looks like fun. While I'm good at following instructions and assembly I'm not so adept at designing or re-engineering. That being the case I would however put down some mulah for a good design plan, pcb board and a chassis. I wonder what I could do with the micro-track Jon G gave me...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's a little update.  The problem with trying to minimize the size down to the last millimeter is that there is little margin for error.  In this case, I underestimated the size of the PCB board, so have to machine down some of the aluminum fins on the side panels in order for the front panel to fit properly.

I also am entertaining the idea of making some modified side panels for some advanced connection options...

I have to board a plane for Hilo in a couple of hours, will try to get some more things buttoned up next week.

post-1336-0-99464600-1364688778_thumb.jp

post-1336-0-24655900-1364688780_thumb.jp

post-1336-0-60133100-1364688781_thumb.jp

post-1336-0-82404400-1364688782_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

dah!!!! the parts scattered across my desk are an occasional reminder to get back and finish this thing.  I had to do some creative machining of the aluminum parts to make the thing fit - after grinding down the PCB - not pretty.  The price to pay for sloppy designing...  Pressure from Cory and others to pick this back up - I never abandon a project - they just get filed away for something ridiculously long times...

• 4 months later...

dah!!!! the parts scattered across my desk are an occasional reminder to get back and finish this thing.  I had to do some creative machining of the aluminum parts to make the thing fit - after grinding down the PCB - not pretty.  The price to pay for sloppy designing...  Pressure from Cory and others to pick this back up - I never abandon a project - they just get filed away for something ridiculously long times...

Hi Tom, I have only just started reading this post today and I must say I am very eager to see how this turns out! I'm impressed.

Plus you absolutely must get "e-visserator" printed on the side when it's done (preferably in a really cool typeface).

With out a doubt an awesome product name! 8)

Tom,

Thank you for sharing this project with us. I can't believe what I have just seen here.

As of now, those overwhelming feelings of regret from my misspent youth cutting most of my High School Electronics classes have dissipated and seems to be now morphing into more of a paralyzing, deep rooted, claustrophobic sense of inadequacy.  I am totally confidant however that eventually it will evolve into hope and inspiration. You have awakened the bell in me that my game needs to be raised in this department.

Thank you for sharing your possibilities with us.

Cheers,

Sean O'Neil

Brooklyn NYC

• 10 months later...