Cart design #02

soundtrane

After my recent bad experience with fabricators, I decided to catch the bull by it's horns. Here is the preliminary info on the cart building project. Photographs will come soon as the building process begins.

CART DESIGN

WEIGHT BEARING CAPACITY

Bottom shelf - 20 kg max (10 kg typical)

Top shelf - 10 kg (5 kg typical)

Sliding shelves - 6 kg (3-4 kg typical)

Fixed shelf - 20 kg (15 kg typical)

Drawer - 10 kg (5 kg typical)

DIMENSIONS

overall height - 38-40"

18"x16" width x depth

cart (without wheels/castors) - 31-32"

wheel dia - 14" pneumatic tyre with spoked rim

castor height - 7" with 5-6" wheels

PIPE CHARACTERISTICS

Aluminum Alloy HE30 (6082) - cold-hard anodized

Outer Dia - 1"

Thickness - 3mm (16 gauge)

Weight characteristics - 183g/ft

SHELVES/TRAYS

Aluminum Alloy 14000X - ends deburred and cold-hard anodized - 2.5 mm (12 gauge)

Fixed shelves - perforated with lip on four sides to sit on pipe curve & fixed on to pipe by press-on pin fasteners

Sliding shelves - lip only on two sides, front and back with .75" upward fold. With long notch to accommodate spring-loaded lock-key. Will slide on UHMWPE plastic strips (friction coefficient .08) mounted on underside of tray.

Bottom-most shelf - to be made out of 3 mm foot plate for increased friction and strength

COUPLINGS

Holleander Speed-Rail slip-on fittings - IPS 0.75" Pipe Outer Dia - 1.050" mill-finished Aluminum Alloy 535 with set screws - http://www.Hollaender.com

Any comments, suggestions most welcome. CAD drawing will follow which will include shelf design to scale.

-vin

post-150-130815075797_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the next stage - SHELF OUTLAY and tube lengths.

The shelves are going to be in old Teak wood, handmade and varnished. All shelves - 1/2 inch thickness.

Boom pole holders to be in wood as well.

I am aiming for the cart to be completely ready by 19/20th.

best

-vin

According to your specs the weight is going to be 62kg (1kg=2.2lbs) or 136.4 pounds. A bit heavy don't you think?

Eric

That will be a beautiful cart, Vin.  In the drawing the wheels look small, but I see in the specs they are a pretty good size.  Speedrail with teak shelves...Wow!!

According to your specs the weight is going to be 62kg (1kg=2.2lbs) or 136.4 pounds. A bit heavy don't you think?

Eric

I see reference only to the weight-bearing capacity of the shelves; nothing about the actual weight except for the weight of the Speedrail, but 183g/ft is light.

Paul

That will be a beautiful cart, Vin.  In the drawing the wheels look small, but I see in the specs they are a pretty good size.  Speedrail with teak shelves...Wow!!

I see reference only to the weight-bearing capacity of the shelves; nothing about the actual weight except for the weight of the Speedrail, but 183g/ft is light.

Paul

You're right. I read the weight numbers as unit weight, not load capacity.

Eric

Hi Paul

Paul

Yes, I think it should be great, main purpose is to keep it light and easy to erect/dismantle and also to make it look good!

Yes, the wheels were not drawn to scale - that drawing was more to display the tube frame and build of the cart. So I did not bother to draw the wheels absolutely right.

I am working on the actual weight of the cart, typical teak wood density, weight of tube and couplings, et al. Since I am already on my way to get it all ready (I have a feature shoot coming up very soon!), I may be able to post actual unladen weight specs here very soon.

Thanks for the heads up, I was wondering how come there was no response to my post for a long time!

best

-vin

One thing I noticed was that you've designed it to be 18" wide - wouldn't it be better to make it 19" wide, so you can install rack rails and rack-mounted equipment if you need to down the line? 

It was great to see your drawings as they've given me some inspiration for the cart I'm designing.

Tim

Dear Tim,

Many thanks....

Yes, I thought about 19" but I really don't see myself using any rackmounted gear. Also, to make it 19" rack compatible, the overall width has to be 22" or so, which then beats the purpose. The maximum width of gear to be on this cart is the width of the Cantar, 12".

best

-vin

Guest Eric Lamontagne

I envy those of you with cantar rigs, such clean lines without the clutter. Overall simple and light looking. Congrats on the sexy design!

Lets hope you make lots of money with it!

Eric Lamontagne

Sorry, I forgot to add a description.

pic 1. obvious - the boom pole holders

pic 2. one speedrail for the antenna mast (i'll post a picture from the field with the mast erected)

pic 3. the LCD monitor fitted onto the small boom pole as of now. I am waiting to get a magic arm. :)

I will try to weigh the cart and post results tomorrow.

best regards

-vin

looks good, that "rich" wood is nice. how are you going to strap the cantar to the top shelf?

that "rich wood" is proably 40 plus years old! :)

strapping the Cantar - two options - one as specified with the 3/8" socket, and two - with the KT bag skeleton, then there are many options.

best

-vin

Dear Crew,

I wish I was born earlier. There's too much purity in our craft and other crafts as well, not to mention film making. I yearn for that level of integrity. Many thanks for your appreciation of what I am trying to do - it is just a small way to prove that there is that level of professionalism in production sound available here in India - without the appreciation of it in any which way as of now. But I am a perfectionist and an optimist! I will keep working and taking it ahead, inch by inch....

warm regards

-vin

Hey Vin, looks great with all your gear on it. I wish I had a picture of the so called cart RVD and I used back when we were young, you would cry laughing so hard. Yours looks like it belongs on a pro shoot, and I am sure it will serve you well.

CrewC