New Rode mic

drpro

Note that the Rode iPhone mic doesn't mount on the iPhone 5 or latest iPads (i.e., devices with the Lightning connector). Perhaps it will work with an iPhone 5 with Apple's adapter, but at first blush, that seems like a fragile arrangement. It only works with older iDevices. But we all know vintage iPhones sound better anyway.

Also note that Blue came out with an iDevice mic a couple years ago:

http://bluemic.com/mikey_digital/

Fostex & Tascam have things, too:

http://www.sweetwater.com/c1060--iPad_iPhone_Microphones

Should we start a pool? When will we first see an iXY Mic + Phone taped to a camera?

I wonder.. what happens when you get a phone call?

Speaking for TASCAM, because this is important info, and we have competing products (the iM2, available since Nov 2011, and the iM2X, available in stores now).

The behavior changed several times over the various iOS version releases, but on an iPhone 4S with the latest OS,

as soon as the phone call is received, the recording stops and the phone app takes over. Even if you ignore the call, the recording won't restart. There is no trace of the ringtone at the end of the recording, nor any of the phone call audio.

Our FAQ on this is to always turn on airplane mode before recording.

There is no way to get around this, the phone app on the iphone has ultimate control of the audio.

I need to do one more test with the phone set to silent/vibrate only and see if that does anything different.

Tom (TASCAM).

• 1 month later...

I've used the Tascam iM2 with my iPhone 4S (when I had it) for home videos, and quickie K-Tek videos when I threw my iPhone on one of our tadpoles. I love it for that kind of stuff. None of these things are good enough for anything professional, and seeing that photo of an iPhone mounted on a DSLR just makes me shake my head. 

I have this love/hate relationship with the DSLR world. It's a big market for us manufacturers, but at K-Tek we really try to avoid making products that encourage people to not get good sound. When people call me at the shop asking what audio products they should get with their norbert DSLR frame that we make, I tell them the best route is to hire a professional sound person to get good audio. Mounting a mic on their camera for anything other than a talking head that is a few feet away from the camera is never going to work. 

• 6 months later...

I was considering getting one of these ( for a bargain price ) for some sort of backup - but I just had a listen to comparitive samples on a couple of different websites, one being

http://tvvj.wordpress.com/tag/tascam-im2x/

and I don't think it sounds very good at all, even compared to the cheap zoom thing - has anyone actually tried one, what do you think?