icom R6 as IFBs

chicagosounddude

Hello all, long time reader first time poster...

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/receivers/handheld/r6/default.aspx

Some friends of mine have changed over their IFB receivers to these kinda cool looking things, they are wide banded so you can dial any freq in i guess, any one with experience with these that can give me pros or cons of using these, if producers like them or not. etc. seems like a lot of functionality for a low price. any thoughts???

post-6159-0-67597100-1357936089_thumb.jp

I have 3 of these I use as IFB backups, or as problem solvers. They work pretty well, especially when you program them with the (windows only) software. They don't sound great, they only have a mono headphone out, and their footprint is awkward with the easy-to-break clip and huge antenna (you can get a stubby but it can kill range).

Good to have a few as backups, would never consider them for primary IFB use.

.They don't sound great, they only have a mono headphone out, and their footprint is awkward with the easy-to-break clip and huge antenna (you can get a stubby but it can kill range).

what would you say the range is with big antenna vs stubby, and audio quality vs comtek?

I used an older version of these. I think it's workable but there are some big cons. On reality shows, they can be pretty darn functional since freqs can be programmed and labelled so a producer could listen in on either a mix to camera or individual microphones.

Some cons:

-The sound quality is not on par with comteks

-Learning curve to operate and troubleshoot(with producers u WILL be fixing it constantly)

-Easy to hit a button and change functions ie no programming

-if headphone pop out you have speaker blaring

-plastic belt clip breaks easy

-need to replace antenna with a stubby

You can lock the feature set to one frequency and have the volume adjust routed to the knob rather than the buttons but I think overall a mixer is better off using a Comtek, Lectro, Zaxcom etc for the ease of use for production as well as their durability. Again, I think you could make do, but for $100 more you can get a comtek. Have one or 2 of the icoms in your kit for sending an A2 or utility to mic an actor in a trailer and they can do a quick spot check for clothing noise

Robert: You can lock the device, a clever enough producer could unlock it and find their way to any channel, but if they are that clever they could go to radio shack and buy something that does the same thing for a hundred bucks.

They can tune about anything out of the box, except cell phones, zaxcom wireless (due to its digital nature) or encrypted wireless.

I forgot to mention I use them when I work as a utility. The range is not good, but I can quickly switch from production mix to private line to hear what the mixer or boom may need.

I have 3 of these I use as IFB backups, or as problem solvers. They work pretty well, especially when you program them with the (windows only) software. They don't sound great, they only have a mono headphone out, and their footprint is awkward with the easy-to-break clip and huge antenna (you can get a stubby but it can kill range).

Hi Jason,

Which stubby are you using?

Thx!

Hello all, long time reader first time poster...

http://www.icomameri...r6/default.aspx

seems like a lot of functionality for a low price. any thoughts???

( Welcome onboard.... )

These do look pretty cool, but might be just a bit dangerous in the hands of the some of the people that get them - especially with a speaker involved.

I am often surprised when a client comes up with one of my Lectro IFBs "not working".... and it's perfectly fine.

You gotsta turn it ON first! Really ? Jeesh, only ONE knob on it ....

MF

" what would you say the range is with big antenna vs stubby, and audio quality vs comtek? "

range (any antenna) depends

big vs stubby: still depends, but generally speaking: size matters (so does placement)

and audio quality comparison: it depends, but keep in mind that specifics (like deviation and companding) are relevant

" Not fond of the idea that they can scan to perhaps an actor lav frequency. "

teamsters, paparazzi, and others have been using scanners for many years now...

It's great for reality if you have a large cast all wired for the entire day over a large property and an EP who spends his time wandering around looking for story and dispatching crews. I program it for all the cast and the cam IFB's and hand it off to him at the start of the shoot. A quick 5 minute explanation of what buttons to use, and which never to touch, and away he goes.

IMO, the audio is terrible (think am radio) but for his purpose it works fine. Along with a handheld switchable monitor for the cams, it makes for a sort of rough 'field' control room. Being able to program alphas for all your freqs is definitely a nice feature.

All the other producers (with the cam crews) get R1's.