Trew Audio's Nagra Collection

Whit Norris

I noticed the Arri-Tandberg recorder in the lower right corner but I couldn't remember whether it was called the Arri-Tandberg or the Arrivox or what. So, I did a Google Search to try and get some relevant info and the Google Search returned the first link to a post on JWSOUND! Of course, a search here using our pitiful search routine probably would have yielded nothing. In any case, Jay Rose back in 2011 posted this:

"Spent plenty of hours tethered to a docy cameraman with an Arri16, mixing with one of those amps. As I recall, it had a confidence head (!), so if you could tolerate the delay you could make sure something was actually printing to the mag stripe.

The Arrivox was a souped-up Tandberg 11 portable (a bit more rugged, and with an actual footage counter). While the transport was Tandberg's, the electronics seemed dictated by Arri: Everything was super engineered, mother/daughterboard construction, very repairable and mod-able.

Two XLR mic inputs and one unbalanced line. Switchable limiter and hi-pass on each mic, along with a switch for dynamic/T-powered. (I modded mine with a couple of mini transformers for low-voltage phantom, to power AKG 451-series mics). Built-in tone osc. 

One transformer-balanced output, switchable +4 / +8 in case you were feeding Ampex VTRs in the field. 

Of course it recorded pilottone, with an input socket that matched a Nagra III. Also had a "pilot OK" winking-eye indicator, and could auto-bloop. In fact, it was sort of a Nagra 3-1/2, but with all the controls on the front panel.

Photo of front panel at http://i216.photobuc...dberg/3d_1.jpg"

You can also see one (if you look carefully) in this photo of my first edit room, circa 1971: http://www.dplay.com...oom/stud71.html 

The bottom left is a 2 ch Uher "Monitor", the last of their 1/4" line. I did lot of work with its predecessor (4000 Report L) before I had my first Nagra. They were very commonly used by radio reporters at one time--I liked mine very well. Almost impossible to get serviced anymore--a friend had to finally turn his into a plant stand--no parts. Trew needs to find the resolver for the Nagra 3 to complete the collection--I had one for years, it looked like a prop from "Metropolis", curved-top meters, big Bakelite knobs etc. (diff from SLO shown). The Perfectone mixer.....ohhhh, bad memories.

philp

Is the Stellavox an Sp8? I had an Sp7, and it didn't have those small knobs, etc to the left of the two mic faders.

Is that one of the earlier resolvers on top at the left?

Used to love playing with the green circle and its variations on the SLO when dubbing. 

Regards,

Jim Rillie

Where's the T-Audio Nagra?

Richard, Whit walked past the Nagra T as soon as he came through the door, but was clearly too excited about his new Meon LiFe and the vintage Fostex PD-2 "Service Department Greeter" to notice :)

The Nagra T stays plugged in, loaded with large reels of tape, which it still handles like it was new.

gt

I noticed the Arri-Tandberg recorder in the lower right corner but I couldn't remember whether it was called the Arri-Tandberg or the Arrivox or what. So, I did a Google Search to try and get some relevant info and the Google Search returned the first link to a post on JWSOUND! Of course, a search here using our pitiful search routine probably would have yielded nothing. In any case, Jay Rose back in 2011 posted this:

"Spent plenty of hours tethered to a docy cameraman with an Arri16, mixing with one of those amps. As I recall, it had a confidence head (!), so if you could tolerate the delay you could make sure something was actually printing to the mag stripe.

The Arrivox was a souped-up Tandberg 11 portable (a bit more rugged, and with an actual footage counter). While the transport was Tandberg's, the electronics seemed dictated by Arri: Everything was super engineered, mother/daughterboard construction, very repairable and mod-able.

Two XLR mic inputs and one unbalanced line. Switchable limiter and hi-pass on each mic, along with a switch for dynamic/T-powered. (I modded mine with a couple of mini transformers for low-voltage phantom, to power AKG 451-series mics). Built-in tone osc. 

One transformer-balanced output, switchable +4 / +8 in case you were feeding Ampex VTRs in the field. 

Of course it recorded pilottone, with an input socket that matched a Nagra III. Also had a "pilot OK" winking-eye indicator, and could auto-bloop. In fact, it was sort of a Nagra 3-1/2, but with all the controls on the front panel.

Photo of front panel at http://i216.photobuc...dberg/3d_1.jpg"

You can also see one (if you look carefully) in this photo of my first edit room, circa 1971: http://www.dplay.com...oom/stud71.html 

Jeff the Arrivox was my donation to the collection. I had 2 of them and kept one for my collection and gave Glen the other. And yes I'm sorry I did not get a picture of the Nagra T . Trew Nashville is a great place to see our recording history even the PD 2 at the shop door. Hey I can not take a picture of everything there . Ok I will do a doc on Trew Nashville look forward to that this summer. What a cool place to hang and enjoy the company of the Trew gang. 

What do you say Glen.. a little doc on the shop.. I think it woulkd be great I will produce but you have to be the host!

Whit

Richard, Whit walked past the Nagra T as soon as he came through the door, but was clearly too excited about his new Meon LiFe and the vintage Fostex PD-2 "Service Department Greeter" to notice :)

The Nagra T stays plugged in, loaded with large reels of tape, which it still handles like it was new.

gt

We loved the Nagra T's in telecine -- they wound tape like a bat out of hell! Sounded great, too, and they cued up very, very fast. 

I saw one up on eBay a few years ago for about $1000 with no bidders. I still kick myself that I didn't just buy it...

Click on "More reply options". If uploading from your computer, click on "attach file" or the image icon. Dragging your cursor over each icon and stopping for a few seconds will reveal what each icon means. If your pictures are already posted somewhere, use the link icon. The big advantage of using a link is that you can insert text between each picture. Click on "preview post". If your pictures don't show, they won't appear on your post. Try again. If everything looks good, click on "add reply".

Looking forward to seeing your collection.

Also, rather than Attach file, once you see the thumbnail of your image near the Choose Files button, you can click on the Add to Post and the image will be inserted within the post at the point of your cursor. Then you can continue to write stuff after the first image, then insert another image, etc. The first thing is, as mentioned about, you have to choose "More Reply Options" to get the full editor to make these choices. I am not a big fan of LINKING to an image hosted somewhere else unless it is on a photo service that you have used for awhile and is reliable and not going out of business. People have posted images here with links that wind up being dead links.

post-1-0-26004500-1358780565_thumb.jpg

This image is here through the "Add to Post" feature. It is actually a link but links to the image which is in the site's database (not an external site) so it is secure on JWSOUND.

Wowsa - that is a truly awesome stash..... 

In addition to "spy" utility, the Nagra SNNs were also used, albeit rarely, by crafty sound men of the times to achieve "hail mary" set-it-and-forget it dialog and efx recording when radio mics were not even in existence... the Nagra Microphone for these things was rather sizeable by todays lav standards.  Hiding-the-mic far less an issue than hiding the actual recorder !

( I'm going to have to do some hunting to find mine - it's down there somewhere! )

Runtime was determined by the actual thickness of the reel to reel tape - different color reels for different "mils" thus the thinner the tape, the longer the runtime - (and the greater the risk regarding sound / dialog volume, print-through, and general tape-based worries)

The "wireless" before wireless!!

OK, Undercover - what is the machine on the fourth shelf from the top - flush left - black with clear cover - 4" reels (?) - "leaf" logo on right corner ?

MF