Induction Cooker and G2s

Constantin

Hi everyone,

a friend of mine had a funny experience with an ME-2 (G2) wireless mic and an induction cooker (stove?) while shooting in a kitchen.

The sound changed dramatically whenever the cooker was switched on. Like using an extreme denoiser.

Has any of you ever experienced something similar? I suppose technically, especially with a dynamic mic, this could be a likely problem? But then the ME-2 is not a dynamic mic.

Hi everyone,

a friend of mine had a funny experience with an ME-2 (G2) wireless mic and an induction cooker (stove?) while shooting in a kitchen.

The sound changed dramatically whenever the cooker was switched on. Like using an extreme denoiser.

Has any of you ever experienced something similar? I suppose technically, especially with a dynamic mic, this could be a likely problem? But then the ME-2 is not a dynamic mic.

Considering an induction cooker is basically a giant electromagnet, I wouldn't be surprised if it caused some kind of interference.

The Sennheisers have multiple pre-emphasis circuits around their companders and have three entry points, so to speak, for supersonic audio frequencies. Induction cook stoves for iron pots run at frequencies of 24 kHz and this frequency is the most common.  Since 24 kHz is barely above the audio band, it is not filtered out effectively and was probably driving the compander nuts, even if the amount of 24 kHz was at a low sound pressure level. If you were more than a few feet away from the stove, it probably wasn't direct magnetic interference.

Best,
Larry F
Lectro 

The Sennheisers have multiple pre-emphasis circuits around their companders and have three entry points, so to speak, for supersonic audio frequencies. Induction cook stoves for iron pots run at frequencies of 24 kHz and this frequency is the most common. Since 24 kHz is barely above the audio band, it is not filtered out effectively and was probably driving the compander nuts, even if the amount of 24 kHz was at a low sound pressure level. If you were more than a few feet away from the stove, it probably wasn't direct magnetic interference.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Amazing. Thanks Larry!

Amazing. Thanks Larry!
Indeed! Thank you. Senator, yes, but the the stove was influencing the wireless mic. There is no way, that seems at all practical at least, to lo/hi cut the G2 system. When the compande starts acting up it cannot be saved by having a cut in the recorder. It would have to be between the mic and the transmitter, wouldn't it?

" the the stove was influencing the wireless mic."

exactly... induction occurs in a lot of circumstances, so no surprise that an induction cooker would be a source of induction,  and the condenser / dynamic mic choice does not affect all induction...

sorry, my reference to the effects of24kHz audio on companders and other electronic circuits is a different thought