Camera Hops

johndiemer

Hey Guys,

I have been reading a lot of previous threads about camera hops but couldn't find one with people who have been using 2xLMa for TX and an SRa for a hop. 

I understand the range difference is the main issue with the LMa only providing 50Mw of RF power. But for the price difference I would love to get some opinions from guys who are currently using this set up in the field and are you finding that the 50Mw is providing a reliable enough signal or are you finding yourself hugging you camera guy to avoid dropouts. 

Thanks in advance,

yep, I currently use this exact set up as my hop on doco jobs, works perfectly. I have a LMa mounted to each shoulder of my harness and power them off my bag battery so once set I pretty much forget about them. Range has never been a problem + I always rec a back up just in case.

C.

yep, I currently use this exact set up as my hop on doco jobs, works perfectly. I have a LMa mounted to each shoulder of my harness and power them off my bag battery so once set I pretty much forget about them. Range has never been a problem + I always rec a back up just in case.

C.

Thanks for the quick feedback guys! I am interested as to how you power the LMa off of your bag? Is that a mod?

" I understand the range difference is the main issue with the LMa only providing 50Mw of RF power. "

not necessarily!

" couldn't find one with people who have been using 2xLMa for TX and an SRa for a hop. "

soooo ??  really no practical difference

been doing hops since the early 90's, and using LM's since they came out...

Just about everyguys i know that have SR as a cam hop use LMa for their TX.  It's actually better since they are less power thus less affecting your receivers close by in your bag.

I get plenty of range this way, way more then i need.  If you are going to ask how much range i get, the answer is it depends from one place to another since RF is affected by so many factor that there is absolutly no way of telling.

my two cents

I have Lectro D4's. I'd have a good look at them. Great range, 4 channels of audio giving you more options, analog or full digital and it hasn't effected my other wireless in my bag. The cons are, power pig, bulky, doesn't play well with comtek transmitter. Keeping them as far apart as you can in the bag solves that problem.

I have Lectro D4's. I'd have a good look at them. Great range, 4 channels of audio giving you more options, analog or full digital and it hasn't effected my other wireless in my bag. The cons are, power pig, bulky, doesn't play well with comtek transmitter. Keeping them as far apart as you can in the bag solves that problem.

The D4s are great I agree, I used them on a show last summer but the problem came whenever we got more than 4 or more of them in the same space. We ended up using them out on the field but had to switch back to our SRas and 411s when we got back to the studio shoots. 

They also live up in video TX RF land which can pose some issues as well.

Have you ever encountered that issue?

Just about everyguys i know that have SR as a cam hop use LMa for their TX.  It's actually better since they are less power thus less affecting your receivers close by in your bag.

I get plenty of range this way, way more then i need.  If you are going to ask how much range i get, the answer is it depends from one place to another since RF is affected by so many factor that there is absolutly no way of telling.

my two cents

Yea, thats the impression I am getting. For the price it seems like the most reliable option at this point!

Thanks!

I have Lectro D4's. I'd have a good look at them. Great range, 4 channels of audio giving you more options, analog or full digital and it hasn't effected my other wireless in my bag. The cons are, power pig, bulky, doesn't play well with comtek transmitter. Keeping them as far apart as you can in the bag solves that problem. The D4s are great I agree, I used them on a show last summer but the problem came whenever we got more than 4 or more of them in the same space. We ended up using them out on the field but had to switch back to our SRas and 411s when we got back to the studio shoots. They also live up in video TX RF land which can pose some issues as well. Have you ever encountered that issue?
No I haven't been in a situation like that yet. In my area I'm the only sound guy that owns one. So I've also never been in a situation with more then one running. I could see that happening, it doesn't have a ton of frequencies to choose. But this has been useful Information. Thank you.