Zaxcom ERX2TCD Timecode Cable

Eric Lawrence

I am looking to get a Zaxcom ERX2TCD soon to send audio and timecode to camera (most often a RED Epic) but I am having a difficult time understanding what type of cable I will need in order to send both signals to the camera. I have a Nomad 6 and will be using the onboard Zaxnet for IFB transmission. But for the  ERX onboard the camera, I am wondering if I need just a basic 1/8" cable from the ERX to the mic input on the Epic or a 1/8" from the ERX to an 1/8" and 4 pin lemo split cable or some other configuration. Also wondering if this would eliminate the need to buy/make a traditional BNC to 4 pin lemo sync cable? Any information would be very helpful. 

Not sure about the rest, but I can tell you that the RED Epic/Scarlet uses a Lemo connector for Timecode that is smaller than the usual sized Lemo connector found on an Alexa for example.

I would suggest making the Timecode section of the cable terminate in a standard sized and configured Lemo connector and then have an adapter (normal size to small size) for those pesky Epics/Scarlets.

Not sure about the rest, but I can tell you that the RED Epic/Scarlet uses a Lemo connector for Timecode that is smaller than the usual sized Lemo connector found on an Alexa for example.

I would suggest making the Timecode section of the cable terminate in a standard sized and configured Lemo connector and then have an adapter (normal size to small size) for those pesky Epics/Scarlets.

Or a BNC connector. Then you can have a joiner to whatever TC connector you require, and it automatically works on C300, Broadcast cams and Sony EX series.

I think it depends how much work you are going to do with the Epic. If you have a long booking or you think there will be more work with one in the future it's worth getting a dedicated cable just for that camera. It's pesky enough as it is, with all it's  modular bits, without you adding a BNC to 4 pin lemo adaptor and maybe an XLR to 1/8". 

The camera department will thank you for keeping things simple, and production may pick up the tab for the cable, worth asking. 

In answer to your question, yes, you will need an 1/8" from the ERX, split to another 1/8" for the Epic audio input and a 4 pin lemo for the TC. That's a tricky cable to make, good luck if you decide to have a go yourself. I'd bow out from that challenge and stay happy....

Hi Eric,

I had a pair of cables made by Trew Audio to do exactly what you need.  With parts and labor each cable cost $105 and they are worth it if you work with these cameras often.

As Andy stated above, the main thing to consider is how often you think you'll work with the Epic.  If not very often, you might get a more versatile version of the cable with BNC for the timecode and add a short jumper to go from BNC to the 4 pin Lemo so you can use the cable with a broader range of cameras.

Adriano Bravo

post-309-0-48520900-1358964372_thumb.jpe

• 6 months later...

Does any one know the part number for the Epic TC lemo connector? Couldn't find any helpful info on Reds site or the Epic manual. I have already ordered the wrong connector once and would prefer to avoid that mishap again.

Cheers Nate.

It's actually great to know that there are already pre-made cables at Pro Sound! Will definitely get some for my ERX's.

Thanks a lot!

Does any one know the part number for the Epic TC lemo connector? Couldn't find any helpful info on Reds site or the Epic manual. I have already ordered the wrong connector once and would prefer to avoid that mishap again.

Cheers Nate.

FGG.00.304.CLADXXZ (XX replaced with cable diameter)

I have two versions of the ERX cable for the epic, one for smaller shoots that has the 4 pin lemo, and another for bigger shoots where the 1st AC is using a preston so my cable has a BNC.  The preston needs the breakout cable to use the remote roll feature.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...