Sony 7506 copy

soundtrane

I took a careful look at the B&H listing and I don't feel that these headphones fall into the same category as the fake Sony 7506 knock-offs we were talking about before. I realize Sony may feel differently about these since they do seem to be almost identical in most respects to the 7506 and the write up descriptions are quite similar as well. The big departure is the removable cable --- this is something I wish Sony had done to the 7506 a long time ago (after they went to the new absolutely useless sloppy coiled cable they have now). I am going to purchase a pair and see how they sound. 

I took a careful look at the B&H listing and I don't feel that these headphones fall into the same category as the fake Sony 7506 knock-offs we were talking about before. I realize Sony may feel differently about these since they do seem to be almost identical in most respects to the 7506 and the write up descriptions are quite similar as well. The big departure is the removable cable --- this is something I wish Sony had done to the 7506 a long time ago (after they went to the new absolutely useless sloppy coiled cable they have now). I am going to purchase a pair and see how they sound. 

Awesome! Let us know! I hate the new coiled cable on my Sonys and would consider selling them to get these if these sound the same.

There was a thread about these here or on Facebook. I think somebody said that is the B&H house brand. 

I hope those cables lock onto the headphones somehow. I've come across something *like* these (at a college radio station) where a little pulling disconnected the headphones. Neat idea, but incredibly frustrating in that execution. They ended up getting zip tied to the headphones in a clunky fix. The look like they may have something to hold them in place. If you really want a field user review, I *think* Michael Solomon said he was given a pair to demo, but he doesn't post here much (but is active on FB in the Soundmixers group). 

While they are obviously err... heavily inspired... by the look of the classic 7506, a lot of headphones look similar. I bet they sound different. Most headphones do. 

There was a thread about these here or on Facebook. I think somebody said that is the B&H house brand. 

I hope those cables lock onto the headphones somehow. I've come across something *like* these where a little pulling disconnected the headphones. Incredibly frustrating. They ended up getting zip tied to the headphones in a clunky fix. The look like they may have something to hold them in place.

They refer to the cable as having a "locking" connection. Let's hope. The only thing worse than a bad cable is a cable that is no longer connected.

I love this paragraph from the B&H page on the phones.

"The headphones are designed with an EQ curve that's been tailored for a slightly enhanced low end that allows field engineers to detect wind noise more effectively, and for studio engineers to monitor bass and sub bass frequencies. The high frequency response has been extended to accurately reproduce spatial detail. There is also a pronounced but smooth midrange that reduces ear fatigue over prolonged periods, while maintaining focus on vocal and dialogue intelligibility."

I wonder if it's a pre complaint warning about any low & high end issues?

Eric

I'd support a ripoff if it's better than the original... Make the original take notice and improve.

What if it were a product that you produced? For instance, would you be happy with someone stealing your invention?

BTW, if the past is any indicator, B&H's knock-offs are not equal to the originals. They're typically Chinese copies.

For instance, don't buy the Pearstone (and now, also, Auray) Suspenders, get the K-Tek originals that Manfred Klemme invented (B&H even stole the name, "Suspenders"). Although B&H carries K-Tek products, I guess they want a bigger cut, so they rip off other company's popular products. Buy the U.S. made REAL Suspenders.

The same with Beyer DT250 Headphone Cushions. I'll take the genuine Beyers, please.

What if it were a product that you produced? For instance, would you be happy with someone stealing your invention?

BTW, if the past is any indicator, B&H's knock-offs are not equal to the originals. They're typically Chinese copies.

For instance, don't buy the Pearstone (and now, also, Auray) Suspenders, get the K-Tek originals that Manfred Klemme invented (B&H even stole the name, "Suspenders"). Although B&H carries K-Tek products, I guess they want a bigger cut, so they rip off other company's popular products. Buy the U.S. made REAL Suspenders.

The same with Beyer DT250 Headphone Cushions. I'll take the genuine Beyers, please.

Sony has had plenty of time to improve on the 7506 design. Particularly the crappy, annoying cable and horrible ear cushions. But they haven't, so you want us to feel sorry for Sony? Sorry Dude. Not buyin it.

Sony has had plenty of time to improve on the 7506 design. Particularly the crappy, annoying cable and horrible ear cushions. But they haven't, so you want us to feel sorry for Sony? Sorry Dude. Not buyin it.

Well, Dude...

It isn't about "feeling sorry for Sony." That has absolutely nothing to do with it. Theft is theft, whether it's from a large company (easier to rationalize, right?), a small company, or an individual.

I prefer genuine products which are almost always superior to the fakes, because knock-offs aren't about quality, they're about making money off of someone else's ideas and marketing.

Personally, I prefer the original (now discontinued) Sony coiled cable to the too heavy (to my taste) Remote Audio I've been putting on one of my Ultrasones recently. Undeniably good quality though.

And that one-foot straight part from the Sony headphone set to the coiled part I liked it too, which surely emphasized the lightness of the most used part of the cable in a bag config.

I'm planning to take one from my older Sony sets to transfer it to my other Ultarsones since I can't for the heck of it find'em anymore.

I'll cut a part of the usually unused part of the coiled part while doing this; I reckon it's way more than what's needed in a bag and probably what brings up criticism about it, apart from the fact that it's coiled... different preference as expressed in a previous post.

There are ''coiled'' and ''non-coiled'' types of people it seems, haha.

Well, Dude...

It isn't about "feeling sorry for Sony." That has absolutely nothing to do with it. Theft is theft, whether it's from a large company (easier to rationalize, right?), a small company, or an individual.

I prefer genuine products which are almost always superior to the fakes, because knock-offs aren't about quality, they're about making money off of someone else's ideas and marketing.

Truth.

CrewC

Boom Boom:

Contact Trew Audio and see if they have the Sony replacements in stock. They used to carry the actual Sony version, as well as the RA one, and the Sony cost much less than the RA replacement.

I bought the Sony cable that I put on my Ultrasones from Trew Audio in Nashville.

Good reminder indeed John; they used to have it on their website and it doesn't necessarily means because they don't have it there anymore that they don't have a few more on shelves at the shop... thanks.

Ok, Sen' , don't lose your time; I know...

If a potential knock-off comes at the same price as the original then that's different than the standard knock-off policy. There are two possibilities: its quality is either worse than the original, in which case there would be no sense at all in producing it, or better, in which case I'd be curious to hear it. Plagiarism also drives innovation, as the original manufacturers are forced to keep improving their products in order to keep people convinced that their product is the better choice than the "copy".

If a potential knock-off comes at the same price as the original then that's different than the standard knock-off policy. There are two possibilities: its quality is either worse than the original, in which case there would be no sense at all in producing it, or better, in which case I'd be curious to hear it. Plagiarism also drives innovation, as the original manufacturers are forced to keep improving their products in order to keep people convinced that their product is the better choice than the "copy".

Truth.