mixing studios in LA kind of affordable

Jordi Cirbian

Hi Folks,

I need to recommend a mixing studio in LA ( but might also work in NY too)  for a prod company that I'm gonna be doing the sound design this time. Can you guys recommend me a nice place if possible with a DFC console that is affordable for an European  (witch means most of the times the same ) kind of a low budget movie.

Thanks!!

Jordi Cirbian, CAS

I'm not sure about the prices in L.A. but here let's say nice studio with a DFC for one single mixer ( nothing to do with your good ones like WB etc ..) is from the range of 5000 to 9000$ per week dry. Something in that range would do, either wet or dry. For work a single re-recording mixer and me shooting my session in protools.

Actually doesn't has to be a DFC, ( is what I would like but if it's unaffordable I understand it ) what I don't want is a studio with an Icon, cause then I rather prefer to mix the project in Spain.

the console doesn't define the quality of the mix. The re-recording mixer does.

You are assuming, incorrectly, that mixing on a console will give you a better mix.

In fact, in cases of smaller budgets, you will get a better mix, as you will have more time, when mixing in a smaller, more affordable room.

Right now, "Oz", a big budget movie, is being mixed on an Icon.

You are almost 100% right, less the part I'm incorrect cause I'm concern about that the console will not give me a better mix.  Assuming that I´ll have a good re-recording mixer around if I have to choose about features or time, I´ll go for time, no doubt.

The only thing is that I was expecting find something in our range and still have the enought time and I was thinking about not have to mix with pluggins for eq as Icon does, in my experience in mixing stage, so far I have felt the difference specially in the dialogs ( Usually I do the location recording as well ) but of course it's all about the art of the re-recording mixer, with that I agree 100%.

You guys have to excuse me cause I'm not familiar at all with the range of prices in LA,  in Europe we can find in the range I was mentioning, mixing rooms with nice features ( and consoles ;) ) but probably cause we have a small industry. 

The eq in a digital console is a plug-in as well.

There's nothing magical about it.

I can give you examples of the same show having been mixed by an experienced mixer in a console, and the same show mixed on an Icon, and the Icon mix sounds better.

I think the reason you are noticing the difference in the dialog, is because its the first place not-so good mixer is going to produce an inferior sounding product. And you have most likely worked with mixers on an Icon, who simply aren't vary good.

Agree totally w/ Hench re ITB vs console.  If you need to move fast and have a single mixer-person on the stage, you can really do a lot of homework ahead of time in setting up the PT session to their spec, and then they can move thru changes way faster (in my experience) than a console mix, at least under those circs.  YMMV

philp

Agree totally w/ Hench re ITB vs console.  If you need to move fast and have a single mixer-person on the stage, you can really do a lot of homework ahead of time in setting up the PT session to their spec, and then they can move thru changes way faster (in my experience) than a console mix, at least under those circs.  YMMV

philp

+1 Addition you wouldnt have to worry as much if you budget suddenly changes and you have to move to a small stage/room. likewise with editorial. 

At the end of the day I would also ask yourself how the end listener experience would benefit from one or the other?