Auto record with freerun TC box

Matt Morris

I'm planning on building a kind of "gating" box that will work with a timecode transmitter, for use when camera is running master TC and transmitting back to my 552 via a wireless link. I missed a cue on a shoot last week and forgot to roll on a take while using a hop. It got me started thinking about a way to have auto roll working on my 552 while the camera is running TOD TC.

The DTAP output on many Sony camcorders has a function where it only outputs power when the camera is rolling, for use with top lights. My idea was to hook up a relay to this socket and have it switch the TC feed to my transmitter on and off. That way my 552 will only roll when it sees moving timecode.

Can anyone see any issues with this? I know enough about electronics to be dangerous.....

I was thinking of using a simple reed relay to do the switching, potentially along with a linear regulator. My only concern would be the very small current drain across the relay (12mA). Would this be a problem?

I have thought about setting up similar systems to this. But then I thought about trying something much cheaper, more reliable, and easier: paying attention on set.

The idea seems interesting but adds an unnecessary level of complexity, in my opinion.

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Film, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com

I have thought about setting up similar systems to this. But then I thought about trying something much cheaper, more reliable, and easier: paying attention on set.

The idea seems interesting but adds an unnecessary level of complexity, in my opinion.

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Film, and Commercials.

www.matthewfreed.com

Fair comment, maybe you're right. I'd gotten used to rec run setups and auto roll. Maybe another box stuck on the camera isn't the answer.