I had a nice chat with Jon Tatooles about the Sound Devices 664 today....

Ty Ford

Hi Tim,

No, I'm not. I review gear as part of my living. Some say I halfway know what I'm talking about. :) PM JW for a reference, and/or check references here. 

I've known John Tatooles since before the 442 came out. I've met key people in the pro audio industry on the mfgr side and on the user side for years. As my profile says, "My mother bought me my first tape recorder when I was nine years old."

In addition to location recording my other work is at www.tyford.com.

BTW, I'm thinking about being in Kansas in May. Know anything about Overland Park?

Regards,

Ty Ford

My eight year old saw the video and though I looked...worried :)  I guess that's what I look like before I get enough caffeine in me. I wasn't expecting to be on camera so I didn't clean up my office, fix my (remaining) hair, give a close shave, or prep like I would have for a trade show. 

Welcome to Ty Fords Candid Camera interviews.

Eric

Hi Tim,

No, I'm not. I review gear as part of my living. Some say I halfway know what I'm talking about. :) PM JW for a reference, and/or check references here. 

I've known John Tatooles since before the 442 came out. I've met key people in the pro audio industry on the mfgr side and on the user side for years. As my profile says, "My mother bought me my first tape recorder when I was nine years old."

In addition to location recording my other work is at www.tyford.com.

BTW, I'm thinking about being in Kansas in May. Know anything about Overland Park?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Nice, that is pretty cool. Actually I live in Overland Park which is a suburb, very corporate. More culture and historic BBQ downtown. Feel free to keep in touch when you come into town! It is pretty cool that you can call up Jon and do this. Not many companies can one do this with. I appreciate both yours and Jon's presence. I hope Jon sticks around here more, I met you at AES I'm pretty sure two years ago. Thanks for this. 

Thanks Bud, Tim, Rick, Seth, Phil, Old, Eric, Jan, Vasileios and Pedantic. Mixalot: Hahahaha! Yes, well, I've been working on dropping some weight since lat May, but I do eat my BIG meal at lunch and I do love me some ribs from time to time. 

I have always had a very good relationship with Jon, so hopefully part of what you're seeing is that coming through. Yes, it's a gear thing, but people make the gear. One piece of gear may be an extension of many individuals. Maybe, just maybe, the more we know about the people, the more we know about the gear. 

I have been in the right place at the right time with some very smart and talented people, both sound people and manufacturers and have learned a lot from every one of them. I've had some magical lunches with tonemeisters/mic designers from AKG, Neumann and Schoeps that have been very revealing. Their patience and generosity with their technical knowledge has helped me understand how mics and preamps work on some very advanced levels.

So, a lot of gratitude from me and it feels very good to be able to break through the barrier, grab someone real and shine a light on them. 

I'll be doing more of these, so if you have any likely candidates, folks you'd like to see and hear from (not on the floor of NAB or AES) please let me know. Thanks for your passing grade and tolerance for the mildly hairy production values. I plan to use a better camera next time.

As a mixer who has gone directly from the SD442 to the SD664, I can say Jon is right, it's a smooth transition. I find the 664 very intuitive: the learning curve is more like a Kansas road than a Colorado byway. Thanks a lot for this effort, Ty. And Jon, you looked fine. I watched your 664 presentation at Gotham Sound before I bought it, and found it by far the best video on the web for the 664.

I know overland park (despite being from and living in the UK). My uncle lives in Leawood and previously lived in prairie village, he's a fire chief in Olathe. I live going out there, great food as you say, cheap and easy parking shopping malls (compared to the UK). Does it hold significance for sound - any big companies based out there? Playing the exchange rate, price difference and tax level over there I could save a killing on a 664.