Zaxcom ERXTC issue

fieldmixer

A ErxTc placed on camera nicely feeding timecode, and batteries die: what as a sound person do you expect would happen? I expect it to die and camera clock takes over and continues. Unfortunately not what the ErxTc does. Batts die, then a voltage "burp" that brings to life the Erx just long enough to start it's boot, sends 00:00:00 timecode which camera adopts then dies for good.

An Unfortunate sabotage.

Unless this is a "feature" so it is (hopefully) noticed right away instead of letting cam take over and start drifting, is this a reported problem and is it being/ has been addressed via a software update? Software wise can anything prevent this battery side effect?

Or is it the nature of battery powered gear of this nature.

I believe someone brought this up before and Howy was working on a fix (or maybe even released one). I think the purposed solution was to disable (mute) the TC output for the first few seconds when the unit turns on. That way when the batteries are dead and it power cycles itself a few times, the 00:00:00 info won't get sent to cam.

Glenn if you are reading this, would you consider an automated email to registered unit specific owners to inform of updates. I know zax is a small company and all, but this would give big time customer service brownie points. Shows a caring nature. It would also contribute to the fleet of gear out there being at its best and boost street cred.

Like lectro is doing with SRb. Although I don't know if they send out a memo to registered owners to let them know. Larry?

I receive an email every time there is a free update to my invoicing software for example and that company is one guy. I sure would have liked to have known about erx v115 before today...And I check forums daily. Can't read everything. Any +1's out there?

[snip]

Like lectro is doing with SRb. Although I don't know if they send out a memo to registered owners to let them know. Larry?

[snip]

Registered owner? What is that? Oh, some one that fills out the warranty card and mails it in? We have one of those. It's framed and on the wall in the main entrance. Whenever we walk by it, we pause and just marvel.

Seriously, few warranty cards are filled out. If we have a product with a fatal flaw, we contact the dealers and let them contact customers since they have the info on their sales invoice. Service puts it on their "must be fixed" list and we post it on JWS (used to be RAMPS). 

The SRb is an update. Ninety five percent of SRa users have a unit plugged into a camera with few transmitters close to the receiver and/or few transmitters in use. In that situation, the SRa works just fine. The users with many transmitters and bag systems that can get real improvement with the SRb hopefully read JWS or have a close relationship with their dealer.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Registered owner? What is that? Oh, some one that fills out the warranty card and mails it in? We have one of those. It's framed and on the wall in the main entrance. Whenever we walk by it, we pause and just marvel.

Seriously, few warranty cards are filled out. If we have a product with a fatal flaw, we contact the dealers and let them contact customers since they have the info on their sales invoice. Service puts it on their "must be fixed" list and we post it on JWS (used to be RAMPS).

The SRb is an update. Ninety five percent of SRa users have a unit plugged into a camera with few transmitters close to the receiver and/or few transmitters in use. In that situation, the SRa works just fine. The users with many transmitters and bag systems that can get real improvement with the SRb hopefully read JWS or have a close relationship with their dealer.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Maybe some type of email sign up list would be good for Lectro, Zaxcom, and Sound Devices. One could post the link here and on the manufactures' site so people can voluntarily sign up and then whenever updates are made it goes to those who have signed up. Much easier than having to deal with that pesky and complicated warranty card. ;)

Or everyone could just check the forums, and web pages every once in a while. One of the reason I go on JW and Zax forum.

That's not a very helpful suggestion. We all do that already...obviously.

Checking "once and a while" doesn't really do it. Clicking a theoretical button that signs you up to receive a model specific software update notification would be Really nice. By "registered" I didn't particularly mean warranty card registered. Just voluntary web based registration to receive a possible auto email when an update is posted on the manufactuers site. Just a suggestion. Not a critique. Seems reasonable. And would be quite appreciated and commendable. I mentioned the SRb example because it improved its reliability, performance and reputation across the board. Which Larry mentioned in a previous thread.

You'll get Zaxcom's attention better here: http://www.zaxcom.com/forum/forum.php

or better yet:

Call 973-835-5000 and ask for Technical Support. You can also submit a technical question on the website: http://www.zaxcom.com/submit-a-technical-question.

Every now and then I peruse the Software Updates page and the Files and Downloads forum looking for new firmwares and changes. The newest firmwares are at the top in the first post. Be sure to check the release notes in the downloaded file to see what has changed and if it will work with your specific unit.

Mark O.

Mark, I sense that you for some reason don't feel these particular suggestions have a reason or practical value. For example, many of us live on our phones I practically do anyway along with my iPad, can only read the release notes when on a laptop. Which I rarely sit down at anymore with my other devices. Feels like you want to negate the reasons why it would be helpful. These suggestions are contributed to be helpful to users. Not complain or slam anyone.

Mark, I sense that you for some reason don't feel these particular suggestions have a reason or practical value. For example, many of us live on our phones I practically do anyway along with my iPad, can read the release notes when in a laptop. Which I rarely sit down at anymore with my devices. seems like you are finding a reason to shoot down and negate the reasons why it would be helpful. These suggestions are contributed to be helpful to all. Not complain or slam anyone.

I agree, I don't see how this could be a bad thing, only more helpful for the user who constantly check update pages to see if there is an update. It seems more reasonable to be notified with a simple email of an update and/or changes when it actually happens, rather than checking everyday to see if there is a possible update. That seems a little backward to me.

Also, with email updates like this, it is beneficial to have the ability of seeing what was included on the specific update. I for one don't always update every single version, especially if what I am currently running has been rock solid. I would update though if there was a critical fix that I wasn't aware of.