Any rumors as to new gear?

Tilt Down

Before I start buying used gear, I like to find out if there's something better coming up on the horizon, so I thought I'd ask here. I wish I had inquired before I bought my 442 because I probably would have known about the 664 (however, it's more than I need for ENG and doc work).

So, any ears to the ground, particularly about Lectro and a 4-channel mixer/recorder?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey TD, you didn't say what sort of work you do primarily!  I have a 442 and a 552 both bought used thru this site, I use the 552 whenever I know there is a transcription recording to be made or as backup to  record  when i do a wireless hop to a camera. I have not found the need for a nomad or 664 , just not the kind of work I do. The 442 is still a fantastic mixer, especially to feed 2 cameras, the 552 adds the 2 ch recorder, for me that is enough. I am usually doing sports, news or corporate. I still will occasionally run my shure fl-33 out for a job where I know its gonna be one wireless and a boom! If I were doing multi wireless reality, I would be in the market for a nomad or 664. I concentrated on getting good solid wireless (as jobs payed) and the best shotggun and super cardiod (for interior voice work) again as the jobs payed, my advice would be to not go into debt UNLESS you have a clear way of paying off the debt. Work with what you have, make the best of it and network with fellow soundies here and on the job. Just my 2 cents! JHW ps there is always something on the horizon!!

Even if something is announced at NAB, months away, there will most likely be the roll out and growing pains associated with that NEW gear....  so,  take that into consideration...  Nomad, 664 and other products are examples of that.... things take a while to shake out...

The MAXX sounds like a nice little recorder/mixer that may suit you...

It is really hard to improve on the 442 as a mixer if you only need 4 channels.  I've never heard of a 442 locking up or requiring a firmware update, either.  If I saw a really good price on a 442, I'd probably pick that up.  Recording is nice to have, but for most ENG is not critical and most of us just tack on cheaper consumer recorders anyways, if we need some piece of mind.

I do happen to know of one rumor, but can't say anything about it - other than it's not what you are looking for.

Will definitely keep my eyes open on the new recorder.  Could it be a mixer / recorder combo unit?  I always felt that 4 channels for a recorder was a bit of an odd position... not quite enough tracks to do full ISO, but more than you need for a stereo or mono mix recorder.

The good part is , as a successor to the SX-R4, it should be able to go up to at least 8 tracks recording (counting AES ins and/or unbal. stereo line in). R4 mirror only 2 tracks though, but what I'm really looking for in fact is a backup for wireless cam hop on a lightweigt kit so that'd be already more than I ask for.

I'm hoping they're integrating a mixer too, and same size & weight.

Definitely something I'll be looking for.

But there's the price, also...