The Ethics of the Buddy Pass

So my mom started working for an airline as sort of a post-retirement job.

It is nice for her because she can fly here to NYC and visit me, and my sister and my nephew. But it is also awesome for me, because I can fly where ever Jetblue flies for free.

The caveat is that I fly stand-by, so I don't always have a guaranteed seat. So you can see the potential problems in a time sensitive business.

The question is, is this something I should advertise to potential employers? It is not like telling them your gear list, is it?

Plus, there is the fact that I would be using a perk of my mom's employment for my own benefit. Is that ok? Anyone else have this situation?

The question is, is this something I should advertise to potential employers? It is not like telling them your gear list, is it?

"Advertise" to a potential employer that you're willing to pay for your own travel? Not a good idea. In fact, a really BAD idea to try and use your unique situation as a competitive advantage. 

Ethics aside, I'm pretty sure it is somewhere in your mother's agreement that she cannot use her buddy pass for business reasons, specifically to sell the pass to others for profit, or in your case, selling the travel services to a production, whether explicitly through line item invoicing, or implicitly, as in rolled into your bid as a whole.  No one has the "natural ability to fly around as they please" so it is at Jett Blue's advantage you would be using this for business, and could not be interpreted in any other way.

You could get her fired, or worse, have Jett Blue persue legal means to recoup financial losses from your mother.

Also, saying that "maybe I can make it by the 17th, it just depends on the flight schedules" is not a professional way of approaching your business travel plans.  Now if you can take a personal vacation somewhere in conjunction with a work gig, with plenty of time to spare to get there and back, more power to you.  I'm not talking about personal vacation in the side-of-the-mouth-under-the-coat type of personal vacation, but legitimately working out your business and pleasure to cooperate with each other.  I used to work in bi-costal fashion for many years.

Don't worry Philip. I kind of regretted it the moment I put it up. What of my life (or yours for that matter) isn't already immortalized on the internet?

I know several of my film peers (mostly not soundies) who will use any means necessary to get a job. I am not a cut throat person by nature, but I try to sell myself within reason. That being said, if you are not a well-known or seasoned mixer (such as myself) an employer has to take a gamble based solely on a couple of potentially meaningless lists; your credits, which most likely include films they have never seen, and your kit, which for some young producers may as well be in Latin. So anything that you can say to appeal to their bottom line while still making a promise to create high-quality material is just something that a green-mixer has to consider.

And just in case this comes up in any searches... My conclusion is that advertising the aforementioned unique situation is not such consideration.

I guess I will just have to fall back on my charm. ha. Jokes.

So anything that you can say to appeal to their bottom line while still making a promise to create high-quality material is just something that a green-mixer has to consider.

not only is what you're offering unjust to your fellow mixers everywhere, but not even feasible since, as you mentioned, you might not even get on the flight. i think you'll have to rely on your credits and equipment like the rest of us.

Just a small piece of advice--this kind if thing is maybe not a great idea to put out there and discuss online....you know these posts never go away, right?  And will come up in searches until the death of the web.....

philp

In a sense this is true. However, he can edit/delete his original post and thus cause the rest of the thread to be removed. 

ignoring possible rule breaking, I would never advertise that as something you bring to the table. Again, rules aside, if you look at it like you were using your frequent flyer miles then that is something of value you are offering to give away. You should save this to go have some fun between jobs. I suppose it's up to you to offer to get yourself to a remote gig, but that seems silly. If it's in a populous area, you are still competing against locals. Morality of that aside, they still bring the "no hotel bill" thing to the table. If it's somewhere without locals, then they have a flight budget anyway. 

the other thing is that if your tickets fall through, you may have to buy tickets on 0 notice, and that could cost more than a day's wages. I don't think it will put you in anybody's A list to suddenly say "yeah, I'm on standbye so I might be a day or two late... can the show wait for me?"

Just a small piece of advice--this kind if thing is maybe not a great idea to put out there and discuss online....you know these posts never go away, right?  And will come up in searches until the death of the web.....

philp

FWIW

As Michael pointed out, you can delete this thread at will and never worry about what it may appear like to potential employers.

But....when you think about it, any employer who looks at this thread and says...

"We see you had a bad, and possibly unethical, self-serving idea, then went to your peers and mentors to consult, received sage advice, and finally you opted for the mature and professional decision... we have no desire to work with you."

...is probably an employer you're not interested in anyway.

Best,

Steven

"We see you had a bad, and possibly unethical, self-serving idea, then went to your peers and mentors to consult, received sage advice, and finally you opted for the mature and professional decision... we have no desire to work with you."

...is probably an employer you're not interested in anyway.

They'll most likely say "Actually the fact you have had an unethical self serving idea means we don't want want to offer you the sound mixer job, but maybe you'd consider being a producer on our next project"