Nomad and 664 in AVID

fieldmixer

Can Nomad and 664/788 files play nice together in AVID. Is the question. I've inquired if the naming scheme would be an issue and it is not apparently. Is there a difference in metadata that could cause confusion in post?

The jist is, two camera shoot, both cameras following one individual and sometimes crossing and coming together. Production is unsure about two different recorders being used and files uploaded into AVID. Is there an issue?

Can Nomad and 664 files play nice together in AVID. Is the question. I've inquired if the naming scheme would be an issue and it is not apparently. Is there a difference in metadata that could cause confusion in post?

The jist is, two camera shoot, both cameras following one individual and sometimes crossing and coming together. Production is unsure about two different recorders being used and files uploaded into AVID. Is there an issue?

They are both bwav what would the issue be? They will both ingest fine. Metadata is only a text field. File naming shouldn't be an issue either besides they should have sound report sheets as well.

Regards

Chris

I'd be curious to know other's opinions about this as well, but as far as I can tell the only conflict might come down the road when a sound editor attempts to conform the tracks. Since both recorder's files would have the same scene/take/timecode/creation time-date (roughly), it might be difficult to tell which BWF file to refer to. 

Therefore, I would recommend using a different, non-overlapping REEL # for each recorder just to be sure. For example, the 664 reel#'s could end in "A", and the Nomad's in "B", or odd#, even#, etc - anything so that you never get identical reel#'s.

THE best thing to do is to test: Submit both recorders' files, have the picture editors ingest the files and hand over the OMF's to the post sound department.

Peter

Gotham Sound

The editors are apparently green. They don't know what they don't know. And I don't know what to tell them to reassure.

I could think of a few things to tell them ;-) There should be no issue.

Personal example I can give you is first unit on Game Of Thrones uses a 788 and the second unit used a Deva there are no issues using different recorders. As far as I am aware

Still don't see the issue a sound report sheet will point them to the correct video file.

I think the important thing to ask why are there 2 recorders for 2 cameras shooting the same thing? Why do you need 2 separate Sound people for the same thing?

Surely one recorder feeding a scratch track to both cameras is the best option

I don't want to be pessimistic but it seems that no matter what you do or what you tell them, there WILL be issues (because the post people seem to be very inexperienced). Filenames will be different, metadata will be different, but this is not due to using 2 different (model) recorders, it is because you have 2 different people working with 2 cameras, shooting different things at different times (and occasionally shooting the same thing). This is not an usual situation. If utilizing timecode properly, identifying A camera and B camera, there should be no problem. When the 2 cameras shoot the same thing the confusion is going to be on the set not in the editing room --- which of your 2 sound people will be covering this scene being shot by the 2 cameras? Whose recording is going to be better? Will one of the sound mixers just step aside for those moments?

I'd be curious to know other's opinions about this as well, but as far as I can tell the only conflict might come down the road when a sound editor attempts to conform the tracks. Since both recorder's files would have the same scene/take/timecode/creation time-date (roughly), it might be difficult to tell which BWF file to refer to. Therefore, I would recommend using a different, non-overlapping REEL # for each recorder just to be sure. For example, the 664 reel#'s could end in "A", and the Nomad's in "B", or odd#, even#, etc - anything so that you never get identical reel#'s. THE best thing to do is to test: Submit both recorders' files, have the picture editors ingest the files and hand over the OMF's to the post sound department. Peter Gotham Sound
I'm on a show doing this right now. 788T versus my Nomad. No complaints from post. We do an A and B thing, though each day we have an A and B crew. It's inconsistent which Soundie (and recorder) is on which crew, but nobody seems concerned in post. The show has aired episodes with a mix of audio recorders, so if they had a problem, I think I would have gotten an email (or not be brought back:)) I'm not renaming files btw, but both of us use metadata for track names, "scene" etc, and publish the electronic sous reports. No complaints, no request for paper sound reports. We are usually following different people, but occasionally we collide. Sometimes one mixer will just stand down and we retune the hops. If we are going to collide, and know in advance, then we have a common TC jam. So far, so good. Some days our calls are so far off each other that we don't all jam to the exact same TC. With Zaxcom, your folder name is your file name prefix, so today my file name was A_28JAN, and the other guy was B_28JAN (or something like that). A for A crew because we had earlier call, 28JAN for 28th of January.