Edirol + Y-cable

Robert Buncher

I run a bag with an SD302 and an Edriol R-09 as a backup recorder. I have been going from the headphone out to a G2 and sending that to the director. I would like go be able to chose between L or R channel and figure with a Y cable I could do this.

Could I just keep the stero mini jack in the G2 and run the Y cable to the Edriol? Then switch channels by changing mini jacks.

Could I just wire one jack tip and ground and the other jack ring and ground? Of am I missing some wiring issue?

Thanks,

Bob

New Mexico,

The R 21t looks like a very elegant solution. I'd like to have one but I guess I'd have find one used as they are no longer made. Thanks for the suggestion.

I made the Y-cable and it splits out the signal but there is a hum from the side that is not connected. I left the unused cable from each side float; perhaps I should have grounded it. I am OK at soldering but I don't necessarily understand circuitry.

Bob

Could I just keep the stero mini jack in the G2 and run the Y cable to the Edriol? Then switch channels by changing mini jacks.

The tip ring sleeve into the G2 is NOT stereo.  If you use the tip sleeve (usually left if you are using an insert type calbe),

you should be sending mic level mono to the G2.

If you use the ring sleeve, then you should be sending line level mono.

You're right, of course, mic/line on the G2 input.

This should work if I simply make two cables. One from the left channel of the Edirol and into the G2 and a second cable from the right channel into the G2. And then switch as needed.

But what I would really like to do is find the Peter Engh hardware as suggested above.

• 4 weeks later...