File half recorded on 788t

Diego Sanchez

Hi all

So 2 days ago i was recording a tv add in a house and today i got that awful call from production: 'one of the files is incomplete'. I checked the hard drive of the 788t and on it the file is also incomplete. 

The camera take is 11:15 and the audio take only 1:38. The weird thing is, the audio is the last 1:38 of the video, not the beginning!

During recording no message came up, the recorder didn't freeze or anything like that. I have the A-Time in big numbers so i don't recall seeing the timer of the take at the end of it.

Has this ever happen to anyone? Now i need to write an insurance report (1 time ever) and explain what could have gone wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks

Diego

I've had a recorder delay going into record because it was trying to find one of the media/drives--the SD equivalent of a Mac "beach balling" when you tell it to do something.  If you weren't watching the recorder you might not notice that the drives were offline for a bit....   Otherwise I guess I'd guess some kind of human error, no offense.  

philp

I've had a recorder delay going into record because it was trying to find one of the media/drives--the SD equivalent of a Mac "beach balling" when you tell it to do something.

I've seen it do that and say Rec Pending on occasion, but only for about 2-3 seconds. Never one where it just plain didn't record something. (Knock on wood.)

Philp, no offence taken, that was my first thought, but then i do remember rolling. As for the rec-pending i have seen it before, but this would have been a 9 min pending, i probably would have seen it.

Production just told me it's a take they can live without luckily, i just hope this doesn't happen again to me or any of you.

Thanks for the input.

Has this ever happen to anyone? Now i need to write an insurance report (1 time ever) and explain what could have gone wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks

Diego

"yes...it's puzzling. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like this before.

I would recommend; that we put the unit back in operation and let it fail, it should then be a simple matter to track down the cause.

I don't think there is any question about it; it can only be attributed, to human error. This sort of thing has cropped up before, and it has always been due, to human error.

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye."

A-mazing, LOL.

"yes...it's puzzling. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like this before.

I would recommend; that we put the unit back in operation and let it fail, it should then be a simple matter to track down the cause.

I don't think there is any question about it; it can only be attributed, to human error. This sort of thing has cropped up before, and it has always been due, to human error.

Dave, this conversation can serve no further purpose. Goodbye.

Dave, this conversation can serve no further purpose. Goodbye.

Brillant!

Most of the issues with the 788T and 664 are related to using non approved media. Everyone Please DO NOT cheap out on the media you purchase. A CF/SD card is so cheap compared to DAT tapes and DVD rams. Also remember a CF/SD card does not have a forever lifespan. Before every longterm project I do a disc scan and format on my computer of each card and on my 788T I do a speed/media check. I also tend to replace all of my cards every 2 years or so. Below is the Sound devices approved media list only buy exact cards listed. 

http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/mixers/664/sound-devices-664-788t-approved-removable-storage/

Below is the Sound devices approved media list only buy exact cards listed. 

http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/mixers/664/sound-devices-664-788t-approved-removable-storage/

Very helpful list! Thanks for posting that, Whitney.

I've had zero problems with Kingston 16GB 166X cards (with low track counts, like maybe 4-track), but go with the Delkin 500X or 600X CFs when I go up to 8 or 10 tracks. Absolutely zero problems so far. I've stayed away from the Transcend's, even though their prices are pretty low. The Delkin 500X 32GB UDMA5's are only $40 on Amazon, and that's a reasonable price for this kind of thing. I don't think the 600X or 700X cards are necessary unless you're recording video (like the 600X cards used by the original Red One cameras). The throughput necessary for an audio device, even one doing 10 or 12 tracks, is not anywhere near that intense. 

I would worry more about the consistency of the media and what the MTBF rating is. People think that because CF cards and SD cards have no moving parts, they don't wear out... but they do. They can only take so many read/write cycles before they fall apart. What that number is is a good question. 1000 times? 5000 times?

Haven't invested in 64GB CF cards yet, but I probably should: $100 on Amazon at the moment. As my joke goes, these higher-capacity drives makes it easier and more convenient than ever to lose massive amounts of material!

T64688309.jpg

And I remember when people were concerned about the puny 4.7GB DVD-RAM mirror drives we were using a few years ago...