Metal Fabrication for Rookies

Solid Goldberger

I have a couple of little projects in mind to round out my bag, basically some folded aluminum in various shapes to keep the bag rigid in a couple of areas:

1) An "L" shaped piece that would attach to my 664, and surround the void that is created underneath the CL6, allowing me to store an NP1 or two underneath.

2) A "Poor-Man's" Otopack: basically just a box to mount my Lectro SR's to, without the weight, power and antenna distro of the original.  

These seem like they'd be simple enough to do, but I don't really know the first place to look to have that kind of work done.  Does anyone know of a place (preferably in NYC) where I could get some help with this project? I've done a little google research, but all the fabricators I found seem to be too big for a project like this.

Thanks in advance.

e.

I created these little project ideas with the software from emachineshop.com.  If you want to stamp out a bulk quantity, without fancy finishes, the prices are pretty reasonable.  To do a low-count prototype or to get fancier anodized, brushed, or powder coating, it gets pretty expensive pretty fast.

post-1336-0-50068400-1359501604_thumb.pn

post-1336-0-00913300-1359501618_thumb.pn

$200 each (12 in the group) = 1 month posession/yr

OR

do we keep it at Jeff's house we just email our CAD drawings and he ships the finished product?

I think Jeff would only sign off on this idea if our first product was a "Jeff Wexler Bobble-head" that we would mount to our carts for good luck. 

Another option is THIS. Its carbon fiber stock, if you have a saw, drill and a rivet gun you can pretty much build anything. Also I might be confused with somewhere else BUT I think there's someone in here that build a complete sound cart out of this stuff, been trying to find the thread but I can't. 

Cheers.

Ruben

Another option is THIS. Its carbon fiber stock, if you have a saw, drill and a rivet gun you can pretty much build anything. Also I might be confused with somewhere else BUT I think there's someone in here that build a complete sound cart out of this stuff, been trying to find the thread but I can't.

Cheers.

Ruben

Someone once talked about making apple boxes out of this stuff, that was a while ago.

For the divider for the  664 bag, you might try Stratacore, the corrugated plastic material. It's light an comes in a bunch of colors and thicknesses. The only tools really required to work the material are a framing square or other straightedge and a matte knife although it can be cut on a table or band saw or with a hot knife.

I've done drawer dividers, bottoms for those LL Bean tote bags, monitor sun shields and add-on bag dividers with it. It should be available at any larger art supply store, especially ones that also stock sign making supplies, the material  is often used for yard signs.

Best regards,

Jim