I'm in my 4th year as a Location Sound Recordist, slowly making my way up the trail, acquiring gear as I can, gig after gig, always updating my bag. I know what I need, it's simply a matter of money and time. 

I'm looking into purchasing the MKH 8040 for interior recording situations. However, i'm also contemplating the Neumann KM 184 MT. 

Any suggestions and opinions out there would be very appreciated!!

I'm very pleased with my Neumanns (184 and 185 as well as KMR81). Others prefer MKH 40 or 50, others Schoeps. It's more a question of getting used to a certain mic than of which is "better" in absolute terms.

About the 80x0 series, there were a few reports about crackling issues on the web. Don't remember if this has been solved, but a search will help.

I'd say they sound rather similar. They use the same RF condenser technology

and I have found my 8050 to tolerate the same weather extremes that my 50

always performed flawlessly in.

The extremely compact form factor of the 8050 is the real difference.

The 50 has a low-cut and pad built in.

These features are added to the 8000 series with the rather expensive inline

addition of the MZF module.

Glen

Thank you all for your responses. How about a direct comparison between the 8050 and 8040. Does anyone have this experience? I'm talking for my sole purpose on recording clean, interior dialogue. 

Also, I'm wanting to sell some gear on here but it won't let me start a new topic of discussion. Is that because I am an amateur member on this site? If someone could help me out with this it would be much appreciated. 

Cheers

Thank you all for your responses. How about a direct comparison between the 8050 and 8040. Does anyone have this experience? I'm talking for my sole purpose on recording clean, interior dialogue.

Also, I'm wanting to sell some gear on here but it won't let me start a new topic of discussion. Is that because I am an amateur member on this site? If someone could help me out with this it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

You need a certain amount of posts before you can make a new thread

I bought an 8040 - didn't like it at all - I use an MKH50 almost exclusively.

I thought about trading one of my 3 MKH50s for an 8050, but when I found someone willing to trade, we discussed both mikes, and he convinced me to not do the trade. He preferred the MKH50.

If the small form factor is useful, then I suppose it's worth it. I bought the 8040 as a plant, but found it collected too much kick from the surroundings, and usually sounded weird.

Robert

I thought about trading one of my 3 MKH50s for an 8050, but when I found someone willing to trade, we discussed both mikes, and he convinced me to not do the trade. He preferred the MKH50.

May I inquire as to his professional experience? I assume high, as I see you sitting in front of your (assumed) sound cart in your profile pic. I have yet to start assembling my sound cart. (Even though I know everything I want on it, just a money factor)

I'm jealous! Nice rig

Ian

Honestly, I don't recall who it was. But we talked quite a bit about the characteristics of the 8040 and MKH50, which I knew, and he felt I would be similarly unhappy with the 8050 in comparison to my MKH50.

However, several experienced people here love their 8050s and have given up their MHK50s, so really it's a matter of taste.

I have grown so accustomed to my MHK50s, that almost any other mic is a disappointment to my ears. Bad? No - just different.

I have one of the early 8000 series microphones (I have to admit I don't even remember if it is the 8040 or the 8050) and I have used it once and awhile for a plant microphone. I believe Glen Trew did fairly extensive testing of both the 8040 and 8050 and has settled in, I believe, using whichever one he preferred. I should really look and see which model I have before I make any more comment. I will also look for the review that Glen Trew wrote.

I've had an 8040 since 2009 and I don't find the handling noise to be a problem, neither does my usual boom op. I kind of followed Glen Trew's advice in that review and use an invision mount and the Schoeps hollow foam. I don't use it for fast moving ENG work, but we do for interviews and scripted work. 

If I was buying over, I would spend more time comparing an 8040 and 8050. 

aristotle_kumpis, on 05 Feb 2013 - 14:02, said:

A few years back, I used the 8050. The one I was using had very high handling noise. Even the slightest movement would create a low rumble noise. Like everyone says, the MKH50 is a very solid mic and sounds fantastic. Have you looked at the 8060?

I Can't say I've ever looked into the 8060, no. I will now though! Thank you.

Due to many people suggestion that there is a lot of handling noise from the 8050 I am leaning towards the MKH50.

Thank you all for your replies and knowledge.

Ian

I picked up an 8050 early last year and used it on 4 different features with pretty good success. Yes, it is slightly more susceptible to handling noise than a MKH50 IMO, but not by much if you have the proper suspension and windscreen . The mic sounds great and the extremely small design is fantastic for doing car work. Also, it is capable of utilizing the digital module, so you have the option of going that route down the road if you want. I'm going to pick up a couple 8040s this year as well.