Updates to my cart

Simon Paine

Are they powering an inverter for the 01v or are they for your DC leg of the cart?

Hi Devandra,

yes I'm running the 01V96I with an inverter. If I loose AC power the three V-mounts can run the cart for 2.5 - 3 hours. I decided to go this route since for most gigs I'm using this cart on, I have access to AC power. So the batteries are really for in case of kick out, loss of AC or if we decide to roll before electrics have a chance to run me a line. And V-mount batteries are so common on set these days, I can grab a couple from camera dept. if I'm really in a jam. The three batteries can be hot swapped individualy to avoid any interruptions in power.

I posted the cellphone picture while on set and now that I'm looking at it on the home computer I can see how bad it is. lol. I'll try and get a nicer picture up sometime soon.

post-55-0-37359200-1359602131_thumb.jpg

Very Nice.  I remember your first pictures.  I believe your cart can come apart right?  How are you feeding your 788 from the Yamaha mixer?

Thanks. Yes the cart does break down into three pieces. I'm feeding the 788T via an AES expansion card that fits into the 01V96I. Works great.

Here are a couple of better pictures of the cart.

post-55-0-42691900-1360384503_thumb.jpg

I'm loving the 01V96I. It's endless routing possibilities are amazing. I've been really learning the board on this gig. I seem to find something new everyday. Today's fun discovery was adding the phase effect into my Talkback mic and doing my best robot voice as I talked to my boom-op. lol. Helps make the day go by.

post-55-0-67173200-1360384471_thumb.jpg

Quick breakdown:

Top space in the rack has a custom panel. From left to right, USB output to keep my iPad Mini charged. Swiveling LED cockpit light, blue LED switches to control lighting and air vent on the cart, blue LED readout for DC power and red LED readout for AC power.

Below is the Remote Audio Speakeasy.

Below that is an audio meter. Not great, but it was only 60 bucks and it impresses Producers with all the pretty flashing lights.

Below that, Lectro Venue.

Below that Lectrosonics multi coupler with 3 - 411's and a T4 IFB TX.

788T and Lectro D4T (for boom op audio feed or camera audio if needed)

I'm also using Movie Slate with a Timecode Buddy system for the first time. It's working out great. Cameras and audio are staying in sync. We're using an Ipad as a slate (so far it hasn't been damaged ! knock on wood). Our script assistant is using a software system called Script-e on her laptop. It can take a linear TC signal through the line input of the laptop to keep the notes in sync. Since she has an Iphone, we just use the movie slate app on her phone to feed TC out of the headphone jack and into the laptop. She's free to go where she needs and always has access to TC. Works great.

Next addition is a mount for the Ipad mini. Looking at the Ram Mounts.

Rob and Simon: never actually saw the TCBuddy. It's made of plastic but seems solid nevertheless. Do you have a confident feeling it can be rocked without being torn to pieces? I mean, some camera guys don't care that much about the gear we put on cams sometimes.

It really seems to be a nice piece of gear and really is well thought down to the details from what I've seen of it on some clips and so far there's quite unanimous, positive comments (sure helps the developper is -was, by now? - a sound recordist).

I like the mounts this company makes http://www.thejoyfactory.com/

I have one of the Joy Factory mounts and I think it is great. I had 2 others from different companies and they were not so good. The RAM mounts work okay, I think, providing you put together all the right fittings for your cart.

Thanks. Those joy mounts look pretty good. I'll have to check them out.

Rob and Simon: never actually saw the TCBuddy. It's made of plastic but seems solid nevertheless. Do you have a confident feeling it can be rocked without being torn to pieces? I mean, some camera guys don't care that much about the gear we put on cams sometimes.

Hi Pierre,

Not sure what happened to Rob's comment.?

The TC buddy units have a plastic outer shell, but the main display and where the connections go in and out is made out of metal. Very solid (so far) where it needs to be and lighter weight (and kinda cool looking where it doesn't need the strength of the metal.

Here you can see how we have them attached to our cameras (Sony F-3 with SD PIX 240's). Sandwiched between the V-mount plate and the camera body, they are pretty well protected. 

post-55-0-21665600-1360719175_thumb.jpg

post-55-0-63267600-1360719503_thumb.jpg

Operationaly, I love the units. Very easy to use and setup. Range seems good and when combined with "Movie Slate" it makes a great package for timecode accurate reports, slate and wirelessly transmiting TC around set to anyone with an I-device.

Only thing I'm not too crazy about is the TC Buddy TX I'm using at the cart.

Here you can see where I've mounted it. I used a small mic holder used for mici'ing drums to attach it to the antenna mast above my cart. It works fine indoors, but I have to run power and TC signal up the mast, and I can't read the display from my seated position. And if shooting outdoors, the unit would be more exposed to the elements then the gear I keep in the main body of my cart.

post-55-0-54761400-1360719694_thumb.jpg

Ideally I would love to have the main body of the unit sit in the cart and just run a cable up and out the back of the cart on to the antenna mast to a TX antenna. I do this with my Lectro D4 TX and it works well. 

I guess I could do this with a TC Buddy master unit, but the antenna connector is one I've never seen before. I understand they have done this to conform the FCC regulations regarding this kind of device. Preventing people from attaching high gain antennas to it.

But I can see how this will be a great bag based system when I start doing documentaries with it, later this year.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the Buddy System. Can't wait to see what new items they will be bringing out to expand it's capabilities.

• 2 weeks later...