Rastorder Foldup cart COVER

Rob Stalder

Rastorder is attempting to design and supply covers for our carts.

We had a meeting with a motor trimmer today and a prototype is in the wings.

We will start with the Foldup cart and depending on how it goes, we will cover the other carts.

I need a bit of help here.

I would like to keep it simple.

I would like to know whether it should come as one unit or have a separate section for the top lift off half shelf.

I would like to know what access is required.

If you own a Rastorder Foldup cart - think you might own one one day - or just want to give us your 2 cents worth.

Could you please help with pictures and/or comments.

Any info gained here might relate to other carts.

Rob Stalder

post-541-0-97062500-1359593825_thumb.jpg

post-541-0-04340200-1359593861_thumb.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I have a fold-up (or other Rastorder cart), but I think that Fred's cover on your own page is a good starting point. However, for the folding cart I don't think it'd be necessary to have a split - just one piece.

Access would be obviously to the front, perhaps in two sections (one roll-up up top and one zip below), and one or two tie-up panels (think tent flaps) at the back. I would like to see pop-studs to hold it in place, especially at the top where the material will be less "solid" due to the wide access area.

My 2 cents.

I happen to be a fan of hook-and-loop access panels, and some modularity. Typically I need a cover for company moves where the cart get loaded into an open stakebed truck here in sunny Portland, Oregon. Since it never rains perfectly vertically, some side and rear cover while I'm mixing under a popup would be useful.

I guess I would need something that offers unfettered access to the front of the cart, while still protecting the top, rear and sides. Also, if it could have a little wiggle room for reconfiguring the cart? I occasionally will move things around if I think a new config will be cleaner for operation.

I have had several covers for my carts through the years, the first one made by a Sailmaker in Port Townsend, Washington on "An Officer and a Gentleman." They came out to the set and made some measurements and based on what I said I needed for access they came back in 2 weeks with a beautiful and functional cover. It was all one piece (but constructed from several panels) and attached to the cart frame with Velcro. The entire front, top to bottom, was one panel that could roll up (from the bottom to the top) exposing as much of the equipment on the shelves as needed. When all the way up it could be rolled out and suspended over my head like an awning. I had flaps on the side panels that could open to expose cables and also to get at connections on the sides if I had to repatch anything. Another opening panel at the back which would expose the patchbay. I don't have pictures of that cover but a similar one was made for one of my older carts by Mike Anderson when we were on "City Slickers II" in Moab, Utah.

I think for the RastOrder carts, a simple cover of some sort is what Rob should make. Trying to figure out how to do access panels for the various ways in which people might be configuring their carts might be difficult. I always had the advantage of being able to customize the cover for the specific cart and equipment, knowing that the equipment wasn't going to change (hey, this was the 1980's) and I could always make changes to the cover myself if I needed to.

post-1-0-94828100-1359604043_thumb.jpg

I would be very interested in seeing a cover the the Foldup cart! Since I don't use the top lift off half shelf anyway, maybe a single unit may be just fine. It would be nice to have front access and some side access using velcro, much like Petrol Bags. The rear of the cover should have some access to allow antenna mast, cables to exit the cart cover.

Not really a good pic but this is how I have my Foldup Cart set up. Not shown in pic is the sharkfins. Everyone have their carts set up very differently. The cover may need to be flexible to accommodate the different cart setups.

eqaje5yn.jpg

Can't wait to see some prototypes of the cover!!

BTW, I may be due for an SU cart soon though. :)

Having owned a fold up cart for over a month now, I would like to see a cover that that fits up to the top shelf. And another small section that can be added on for the lift up shelf. Maybe it can have snap buttons all around the edges of both sections. That way, someone can easily snap on the top section for the lift up shelf if needed. So it could be two parts: One for the main cart, and another for the lift up shelf. Also, it would be great if the cover had pockets on the sides to hold extra stuff.

For a Wexler-Evje style vertical cart (like the RastOrders) I very much vote for Jeff's design--separate flaps for the 4 sides that can roll up individually.  If the cart is really going to be exposed the rain or even mist+fog, being able to get at one side of the cart's innards without having expose the other sides is very appealing.  But to keep the thing tidy (and out of the wheels) it would have to be a pretty good fit.  I don't think a one-size fits all deal wold work out very well.  

philp

hello to all 

i am new to this group

i would like to suggest that the  cover will  be small and compact  when not in use . something like a north face coat  where the pocket becomes a pouch.after all we do not have so many rainy days here ... so the cover will not be used very often. 

Thank you - keep the comments coming - the more i understand your individual needs the more of a consensus i can come to.

Quote from above  "We will start with the Foldup cart and depending on how it goes, we will cover the other carts."

The foldup cart is what it is a simple foldup cart - to this end some of your comments may well be attrbuted to our bigger carts and "

Key words:

Wriggle room - we can take that into account.

Access panels - probably not at side - but if so where and why... ?????

probably at rear????where abouts & how big - velcoed. ???? One in middle for antenna/boom cables ??

Front access - maybe opening above 2nd extended shelf & maybe separate open below it.

Top half shelf...

Re comments from Aristotle & Mt  - have thought about this - Maybe up to and over top half shelf - with possability of leaving it off.

Then as you suggest a separate section to fit on top - to hold what???

I have uploaded the word flexible to my brain - dont know if it will do any good...

Pockets on side - are a bit swish arn't they - below is a pic of Pascal's foldup cart cover - he is in France - its very well done and looks flexible.

Maybe something like that could have say an added monitor or in his case radios attached on the outside with a separate cover.

It also has pockets.

Bare in mind - there could be a basic cover with extras. ???

RS

post-541-0-43552000-1359615217_thumb.jpg

i like what Kortwich did with their cart cover.

http://www.filmtontechnik.de/479.html

i was trying to work out what i wanted to cover my cart and was going to get round to asking KT systems about making a cover for mine. once i'd worked out what was best.

but i was thinking along the lines of a one piece part that goes around the 3 sides leaving the front clear that attaches with either velcro or poppers or a combination of both. or small twist lock things, if they can be added whilst still allowing the cart to fold properly.

though velcroed flaps on the side and back to allow access to the mixer shelf and the shelf above would be good to allow access to connections and cards etc. and also the option for cut outs at the back for the boom holders.

and maybe a separate piece that would zip to the main cover to cover the front for transport / lunch / english summer time.

i have no opinion on the removable top shelf though as i dont use it in my current configuration. though assume that the cover i am loosely imagining would only go to the edge of it and not have space to cover anything on top of that shelf.

Hi Rob,

and what a good idea to ask around the users..... I have a little experience with cart covers - I have had two made for my big Chinhda cart (the 'team' managed to lose the first one - not our best day!!).

Front access is obvious, and JW's idea regarding using the flap as a head cover can work well, so that pretty much dictates a vertical zip on either side of the front panel.

Rear access is also jolly useful, so you may well consider two vertical zips on the rear corners, so this now, by default, wins you access to the side flaps by opening only two zips.

You'll have to either design two covers, one for top shelf users, and another for those that do not use the top shelf, or take a pragmatic view about making only one, that accommodates the top shelf users, but will also work for those that dont. Also, you'll need to take a view as to how much stuff the top shelf users pile onto said top shelf, so you need to accommodate an amount of bulk being on the top shelf, with the cover going over the top of that gear.

Be aware of stuff that sticks out at the sides, 4 or 5 20m cables hanging out the side on a hook take up a lot of space, and the cover may want to accommodate that.

Also, be aware of vertical sticky up things, like boom poles, aerial masts, etc....I had to send my big cart cover back to have a bunch of velcro flaps fitted, to accommodate all the sticky up things!!

I have found a wide horizontal flap on the back, near the handle, is a good thing for when moving, and also for access to patch panel or back of machines.You could consider a flap that integrates within the handle, this would be a good 'anchor point' for the whole cover.

Think about the hem line of the skirt, too high and gear gets wet in sideways rain, too low and it rubs on the wheels and gets dirty or trashed.

The cloth that I used I bought from eBay and is called 'Vinyl Cloth'. It comes in various thicknesses. Thicker is better. If the sewer is not experienced with this material then warn them that it can tend to 'tear' in places like the end of a slit or cut, so, for instance, the ends of the side slits on a flap, the point where the 'hinge' would meet the start of the cut for the sides, can want to tear. These points need some 'fortification' or extra strengthening.

Velcro is a good thing generally!!

I used a local company, out of Elstree Studios near London, who generally make green screens and drapes. They had the industrial sewing machines that make easy work of the cloth. They were 'up for it' and I paid them in wine. Karl did a brilliant job, and I would definitely go back there again.

I'll be really interested to see what you come up with Rob - feel free to share drawings before you commit - I am sure that you will get great ideas from here!!!

Kindest regards, and I hope it goes well,

Simon B

Jeff, do you remember the day they delivered the cover? Not 10 minutes after we put it on a hose broke on the rain tower rig and sprayed everything around us but the cart was safe. Talk about timing....

CrewC

Of course! I thought about mentioning that, including the fact that we had rain almost every day except that day where we had to make rain for the scene. What history! Probably not as interesting to everyone else as it is for you and me.

Sorry about my panicky last post.

I actually had to go and put my sound recording hat on again - took a bit to find it.

BUT I am getting it - thank you all for the input.

I have received some emails as well. The detail of preferences & setup styles is what i was looking for (eg Bash).

I am coming to conclusions as to overall design, access, workability, simpleness and attachments.

Please anyone else who is thinking of commenting - do so.

I will probably mull over this for a week and then detail a plan before the prototype.

Rob Stalder.

" What history! Probably not as interesting to everyone else as it is for you and me."

I dont know - "Officer And A Gentleman" is still one of my all time favourite films - I saw it twice - maybe its my sentimental nature...

I was a Television Audio Director at the time, never occurred to me I would ever work in the field.

RS

"Officer" was different from most of the films I worked on. The cast and many of the crew were young and just hitting the big leagues and it was 1981, a time of great change in the USA. The 70's were over and the Reagan years were just getting underway. We were isolated for 3 months in the Great Northwest on the Straights of Juan de Fuca in the scenic small town of Port Townsend.  We worked 6 day weeks and some of us partied 7 night weeks. We worked hard on our craft but released after work with the same enthusiasm. The material was well written and Taylor Hackford did a fine directing job and we all making the same movie. Not as common as you might think. Also we all liked one another for the most part. The film turned out well and holds up to this day I think. I'm sure it means more to those of us who worked on it but I bet it would make a hell of an interesting read if someone could capture all that went into the making of the movie by that cast of characters on both sides of the camera. I certainly value the experience and will never forget being on our sound crew w Jeff n Don. Someday I will post some pix.;~)

CrewC

Sammy.

Looking at your pic I see you have a bendy thing stuck in one of the uprights - could you do without that - maybe attach it to upright (adjacent) with a manfrotto clamp if I had a flap ether side for that purpose. I have also seen on other pics of yours where you have had a pole up the back withantennas on it.

Also how much higher (if at all) does the mixer bag (in that position) go above those 2 uprights.

Rob

Access flaps Looking to have full width access flap accross rear about leval with2nd shelf down (where you might put the mixer in a more formal situation) - maybe one where handle is. Either of these would allow cables out/in and hooks attached inside to exit.

Access flaps on side, I am having difficulty with. It appears to me that you would only need side access in (again) a more formal situation.

Surely there is enough room (WIDTH) on the foldup cart shelves to put your hand in to the side areas from the front - or enough room to turn equipment for side access.

Part of our aim is to keep costs down, so every little inovation drives costs up. Could end up with some ideas being offered as options.

I Would appreciate comments on side flaps.

Rob S

Sammy.

Looking at your pic I see you have a bendy thing stuck in one of the uprights - could you do without that - maybe attach it to upright (adjacent) with a manfrotto clamp if I had a flap ether side for that purpose. I have also seen on other pics of yours where you have had a pole up the back withantennas on it.

Also how much higher (if at all) does the mixer bag (in that position) go above those 2 uprights.

Rob

Rob,

I can certainly do without that gooseneck used to hold the dipole. I can reposition that setup.

The antenna mast with 2 sharkfins is on this setup as well. They're just not visible in this pic. I mount it on one of the boom pole holders.

Depending on how much I angle the bag, it sits approx 2-3 inches above the uprights.

Sammy Huen

The most obvious conclusion I have come to is that a lot of people place their mixer bag on the top shelf of the FU cart. Either upright, laying down, or somewhere in between. They often dont use the removeable top half shelf.

This means I look at having some sort of expandable main top section,  or I arbitarily set the overall maximum height of the cover.

I am sitting here looking at my (old) mixer bag (without radio mic arials) sitting on the top full shelf of the FU cart. Its height is almost leval with the top of the uprights - which is almost identical to the height of the top half shelf when it is on.

I would like some upright mixer bag height figures please - rather than make an arbitary decision, in the case that I adopt a fixed height.

Cost wise - I suspect that once we have a product cover any alteration or addition request will probably be able to be accomodated, but will cost extra.

RS