A Gift for the PAs (and you) - Moleskin

Tyler Faison

Nice one!

Do you topstick both sides?

Same moleskin type on both sides?

And since the capsule is fully exposed don't you get rustle by any friction there?

Just the two pieces of moleskin against each other. After I use the moleskin the first time, I'll just keep adding TopStick or more moleskin until I'm ready to change it all out. The two pieces are the same direction (sticky side down) and I leave the bottom piece with the the white sticker backing still on so that it's prepped. Travels great and saves time on set. I don't generally have a problem with friction, other than the occasional wardrobe issue. I typically tape down the wire for a strain relief. It's not going anywhere.

The two pieces are the same direction (sticky side down) and I leave the bottom piece with the the white sticker backing still on so that it's prepped.

Sorry still not 100% clear on this:

Do you TopStick the "bottom" moleskin on the subject (let's say someone's chest for example) and  the top side - where the mic protrudes - to minimise fabric movement on the area that the mic is being place? 

Sorry still not 100% clear on this:

Do you TopStick the "bottom" moleskin on the subject (let's say someone's chest for example) and  the top side - where the mic protrudes - to minimise fabric movement on the area that the mic is being place? 

No, not typically. I won't say never, but if I needed to stop the clothes from moving, I usually just TopStick the clothing to itself (like on a noisy button up shirt)...not the mic. I don't think I've had to TopStick a shirt to the skin. It's usually just zippers and shirts. But I'm sure there's a case where I might. I try to go on the clothing itself rather than the skin if at all possible. Obviously, it all depends...

Many thanks for the clarification Tyler!

I will give this a try later on today but just in case you guys have tried this first, would there be any dramatic tonal difference if the moleskin covers the sides of the mic capsule, given of course that the mic is omni and the top, uncovered part, is pointing towards the talents mouth?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

...and it's the principles of "boost caps" used on most lavs ( DPA for one) : the more you cover the sides, the more you favor the highs. As for moleskin, I guess that'd be kind of a soft boost since it's probably not as sound rejecting as plastic ?

Doesn't covering the sides of an omni capsule result in a change of the directional characteristics of that capsule?

From what I understand, covering the sides of a cardoid gives it more of an omni pattern.

Does the opposite or similar happen when covering an omni?

I'm not sure if covering the sides of a cardioid (or omni) *to some point* would change it's pattern more than simply affect it's frequencies specs throughout its spectrum.

I guess we're in for experimenting at this point, since it's more of a specific usage... even two years later  ;)