SD 664 sapphire glass screen protector

api

I just saw a plexiglass screen protector for 664 on the SD facebook page. It just occurred to me that it might be economically feasible to have a small batch of custom screen protectors made of sapphire glass. Perhaps, if it is exactly the right size, it would stay on without any adhesive. Sapphire glass is the kind of glass they use on watches and it's super hard.. very difficult to scratch and optically superior.

http://www.rayotek.com/sapphire_windows.htm

I'd buy one or two in a group buy for sure.. especially if the price is right.

What do you think?

After some googling around I found out that an anti-reflective coating alone might cost 1000 to 2000 dollars per batch. You could coat hundreds of glasses in one go though and perhaps a glass panel could be coated before it is cut into smaller pieces. However, I have a feeling that this might be an expensive consignment and not really feasible unless there were dozens or hundreds of screen protectors made in one go.

• 2 weeks later...

After some googling around I found out that an anti-reflective coating alone might cost 1000 to 2000 dollars per batch. You could coat hundreds of glasses in one go though and perhaps a glass panel could be coated before it is cut into smaller pieces. However, I have a feeling that this might be an expensive consignment and not really feasible unless there were dozens or hundreds of screen protectors made in one go.

I think some of the glare issues are also the layers of glass and plastic. The adhesive protectors work because there isn't a gap on that surface. The other issue of non-sealed layers is dust getting in there. Another thing to be prepared to deal with. Even most all LCD displays have gaps in their construction. Apple's new iMac is one of the first (if not THE first) to eliminate that air gap in the LCD assemble and front screen of the computer. 

http://www.apple.com/imac/design/ scroll down to "re-engineered display". 

"Full lamination has a second major benefit: It eliminates the reflection of light off the LCD panel and off the back of the display’s cover glass. But we also figured out how to reduce reflection off the front of the glass without compromising color quality. Instead of applying an antireflective coating to the glass in a conventional way, we adapted a process used on smaller surfaces like camera lenses and fighter pilots’ helmets. It’s called plasma deposition, and it involves coating the glass with layers of silicon dioxide and niobium pentoxide so precise and so thin they’re measured in atoms. The result: an astounding 75 percent reduction in reflectivity — and vibrant, accurate colors."

• 1 month later...

Interesting thread.

I'm the CEO of DBA Cases, Inc. and Just Like Glass screen protectors.

http://www.dbacases.com/

http://www.justlikeglass.com/#home

I've been looking into producing sapphire screen protectors.  I'm a watch nut and wear a Breitling Aerospace with both sides glare proof.  After 20 years it's perfect.

I have the ability to order in quantity but I need to find a company that can produce them for a reasonable price.

Any help would be appreciated.  For the forum I'd sell them wholesale.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted Alkor and asked for a rough price estimate for this. 50 pieces of 2 mm thick sapphire windows with anti reflective coating in the visible spectrum.

They are preparing the quote for tomorrow.

Would be hard to find sapphire screen protectors below $50 a piece, since tempered glass versions are already retailing at $40 or so.

There was a company which was showcasing the technology at mwc recently and they mentioned that the current cost price for sapphire screen protectors is already around $30.

Below is the quote from Alkor Technologies. The antireflective coating on both sides adds 16 USD per piece to the price. Someone would have up with a way to securely attach in the the mixer as well. Delivery time is 6 weeks. The size of the window is specified as 40mm x 50mm just to give a ballpark idea for a consignment like this.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Protection sapphire window for LCD display
40x50x2 +/-0.1mm
Uncoated
50pcs - 56USD/pc

AR/AR coated with MgF2 coating for 400-700nm (visible)
50pcs - 72USD/pc

----------------------------------------------------------------

• 5 months later...