motu traveler handles +4dB?

I use Travelers all the time, as well as some other MOTU boxes.  One of the issues w/ the Traveler is that +4 is really about as far as you can go w/ line sources w/ inputs 1-4 (the ones w/ mic pres).  I have mine hooked up to the direct outs of a mixer, and found that to get into a better gain range I needed another 10 db of pad on those inputs all the time.  This also been true when doing music recording and taking sends etc from an FOH console.  The 2nd 4 inputs (5-8) seem to be somewhat less sensitive, and +4 works fine with them.  Both my Travelers are like this, but my MOTU 8Pre (a later product) does NOT have this issue--I think MOTU got enough complaints about the Traveler that they ranged the 8 Pre's gain control so you can turn it much farther down than the Traveler.  Perhaps some of the people doing mods to MOTU boxes can change this--I would not recommend trying to do it yourself--the boxes are really hard to open up.

Philip Perkins