Sound Devices? Zaxcom? Who to choose!?

Ianellemo

I own a SD788 plus CL8. 3 years ago, when I bought it the choice was more simple... If I had to buy my recorder today I would buy a Nomad because I rarely use the 8 inputs, and it seems to me that Nomad is also a good recorder. When I use all the 8 inputs, it's for big shows and the gear comes from a rental company.

Anyway I really like my 788 and I will keep it. That's a very good recorder and very reliable. A fellow bought his Nomad a few months ago, he is now trying to sale it.

So I think that it's also a personal choice. If you can try them.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own many pieces of both Zaxcom gear and Sound Devices gear. I've had great success using all of them.

I still stand by my original post. Only you can decide what best fits your needs.

One caveat: NEVER buy based on announced, but still-unimplemented features. A year and a half after the Nomad began shipping, there are still several yet-to-be-implemented features which I had counted on using this past year. I'm not saying I regret owning a Nomad, it's already loaded with ground-breaking capabilities, but just that you shouldn't buy based on anything that isn't already implemented. Buy based only on what a device will do when you buy it. That's good advice with any brand of equipment. Go with what is, not with what "might be" or "should be."

Good luck.

NEVER buy based on announced, but still-unimplemented features. A year and a half after the Nomad began shipping, there are still several yet-to-be-implemented features which I had counted on using this past year. I'm not saying I regret owning a Nomad, it's already loaded with ground-breaking capabilities, but just that you shouldn't buy based on anything that isn't already implemented. Buy based only on what a device will do when you buy it. That's good advice with any brand of equipment. Go with what is, not with what "might be" or "should be."Good luck.

+1 Could not agree more.

dominiquegreffard, on 04 Feb 2013 - 21:27, said:

Salut ian, J ai le nomad et je ne regrette pas du tout mon choix. Je peux te faire faire le tour de la machine si tu veux. Les conseils que les autres t on laissés sont justes même s ils semblent durs à ton égard. Il y a beaucoup de lecture à faire sur jw pour t éclairer dans ton choix. Bonne chance!

Dominique, suite a mon retour de Jamaique, (le 18 Fev) je t'appelle. Je te contacte via Facebook. Merci beaucoups!! (Translation: Dominique, As soon as I'm back from vacation in Jamaica (18 of feb) I'll be contacting you via Facebook. Thank you!)

Eric Toline, on 04 Feb 2013 - 21:43, said:

Translation:

"Hi ian, J have the nomad and I do not regret my choice. I can make you go around the machine if you want. The advice others are just left t on even if they seem hard unto thee. There are a lot of reading to do on jw for t enlighten your choice. Good luck!"

I'm amazed at how precise the translation was, thanks Eric. However, full billingualism in Montreal is the name of the game!

seth, on 05 Feb 2013 - 00:38, said:

except for the time it takes to make quick changes, say panning. It's like nomad is mixing in the box and 664 is using a board.

I've had both (though nomad for a short time) and Nomad definitely tops features, but for speed, usability, and structure SD imho. I personally didn't like the feel of the pots. It's good to date before you get married.

It's amazing but it really seems like everyone who cared to comment on this post (aside from one person) is attempting to convince me of the Zaxcom products. Very interesting.

johnpaul215, on 05 Feb 2013 - 11:37, said:

wait, why a new Battery system? What are you using? The 744, Nomad, 664, 788T all use the same Hirose power in, unless you are just using those little camcorder batteries. How do you power your wireless?

A lot of people use a recorder specific battery (maybe an NP-1 cup to the Hirose) and another NP-1 for wireless. There are tons of threads about alternative bag battery options, but if you use some sort of battery distribution, it's the same cable to power your 744T as anything else you mentioned.

Yes, I am using the Sony Camcorder batteries. Unfortunately, I do not have an NP-1 system yet. Yet, being the key word. You know when you have a list of everything you need, but you need to feed yourself sometimes also? It's a toss up!

I will give them all a go. Problem is: I've been hired for a Television series that's being shot on location at the end of February. There are often 6 characters speaking in the same scene. Budget is small, work load is big. My decisions need to be made pretty quickly in order to have proper turnaround time. (Testing of gear, prepping, etc.)

I have given the 664 a good go, yesterday actually. Nice machine, but physically, huge! I couldn't believe how big it is. Again, I feel like many other, 8 inputs will more than plenty for well over the majority of the projects I'll be jumping on in the next few years. I'm going to take up Dominique on his offer and let him show me his Nomad and give me a mini walk around. The nice thing about the Zaxcom products is that they all sync up nicely to create a well balanced, and (once running) easy workflow.

Thank you all for your responses, very appreciated!

"All the features in the world cannot make me happy if the core functionality of the device is compromised by instability."

At this time the stability of the Nomad is beyond compare. Our current version 4.45 is very solid. The MARF file system protects against any problems that might come up due to a loss of power.

In the past we certainly had our issues as all manufactures do. A check of the forums of any company that make recorders will be the best place to get a feel for the current status of the reliability of any product. Customers are not shy when comes to reporting of problems on the company customer forums.

Glenn Sanders

President Zaxcom Inc.

I used to own a 552 + 744T combo and I loved it, but it was heavy and recording more than 4 channels was a pain in the ass.

I agree. I went from that to a 788 + CL8 mixing panel, and do not miss the extra five pounds difference. Made a huge amount of difference, especially over a long day. I have to say, though, Zaxcom's Nomad 12 for $6000 is an extremely competitive product. 

I came from a SD 442/744t and Lectro combo that I used for 5-6 years. A solid setup to be sure. I'm now a Zaxcom convert with a Nomad 12, QRX, and TRX-900LA tx. Their unique and powerful features like Zaxnet and true digital wireless drew me in. Sure, there are issues, but it's exciting to part of something that is growing and becoming more and more capable everyday.

In the past we certainly had our issues as all manufactures do. A check of the forums of any company that make recorders will be the best place to get a feel for the current status of the reliability of any product. Customers are not shy when comes to reporting of problems on the company customer forums.

Glenn Sanders

President Zaxcom Inc.

I don't envy the position companies like yours are in. Your perseverance and forbearance are appreciated.

I'm looking forward to the fully armed and operational death sta... I mean, Nomad.

Mark O.

Last week I was beaten up by the sales manager of one of our most important resellers who felt that SD needs to have a more public face on this forum. In some ways, I agree. In others, I don't. There are times when it is important to contribute, especially when facts need to be sorted from our end. What I don't want to do is change the tone of these user-to-user interactions that are so important to the community and manufactures alike. If this forum became a marketing vehicle for manufacturers, that would be a shame. We have plenty of ways to reach out to our customers when we have something to share (PIX 260i coming very soon ::)).

+1 what Jon has said, and big -1 to what Christian (ahem) has said. None of the "other" manufacturers have behaved badly on this site (I don't allow it!), but some may have said things you don't like or don't want to believe. Most everything has fallen into the category of what Jon has said: "There are times when it is important to contribute, especially when facts need to be sorted from our end."

We all value the participation of the major players in our world, Jon, Glenn, Glen, Larry, Ron, Steve and all the rest (see, I'm on a first name basis with all of them) and I know that each has their own way of participating and we should appreciate and respect them all.

All of the dealers and manufacturers have been very respectful of this site and have for the most part made real efforts to avoid the temptation to turn JWSOUND into a marketing tool, allow the discussions amongst our members to proceed nicely. I wish I could say the same for some of our members. Some of the discussions become quite disrespectful, at times almost slanderous, and this is a shame. I will continue to moderate with the lightest touch I can but when the disrespect meter goes off, in either the direction of any of our manufacturers, dealers or members, I may need to step in.

+1 to everything Jeff said.

Also, everyone should keep in mind, just because a manufacturer doesn't weigh in on a given discussion doesn't mean they're not watching closely and heeding our comments.

I'd be surprised, for instance, if Sound Devices weren't in development of (or certainly, at the very least, having discussions about) a compact and light weight four-input mixer/six-track recorder combination as we speak.

Seems to me the manufactures behave much better than some members do when it comes to gear. I think it is a great thing to have them participate and inform us of new items and updates. I'm sure they like the feedback they receive but I'm guessing the "They should " and "Why can't" stuff a bit annoying. 

As for the OP, they will both do the job well. Only you can decide which one to choose.

CrewC

Be glad that the two guys most responsible for the the major do-or-die tools you drive every day are willing to talk to you at all, let alone answer questions on a nearly daily basis on a public forum under their own names!  You don't get that kind of response from Yamaha, or Shure or Sennheiser or even Nagra.   Please be polite, it's a great thing having them participate in this forum.

philp

Be glad that the two guys most responsible for the the major do-or-die tools you drive every day are willing to talk to you at all, let alone answer questions on a nearly daily basis on a public forum under their own names!  You don't get that kind of response from Yamaha, or Shure or Sennheiser or even Nagra.   Please be polite, it's a great thing having them participate in this forum.

philp

Thank you, Philip, for saying this. Exactly what I was trying to express, personally, how much I appreciate the "usual suspects" (in this case, the people who bring us all the wonderful toys we get to play with everyday).