Steve Sands Busted on set of Smash!

Karl Wasserman

When Kathy and I were in NY a couple of weeks ago for Jan's gathering and seminar, Smash was filming in front of our hotel and we were able to walk right up and meet Josh Anderson and his crew, Terrance Maitland (3rd generation sound in NY, very cool!) And also Mr Harris on boom (2nd generation sound, His dad mixed Heat of the Night in GA for many years). We came back later and hung out for few with Josh and crew and were treated very nice and outstanding. BTW thank you guys! Enjoyed it. No one tried to arrest us! They were above board and pros! Thanks guys for letting a southern sound mixer and his wife join you on your set! 

Cheers,

Whit

When Kathy and I were in NY a couple of weeks ago for Jan's gathering and seminar, Smash was filming in front of our hotel and we were able to walk right up and meet Josh Anderson and his crew, Terrance Maitland (3rd generation sound in NY, very cool!) And also Mr Harris on boom (2nd generation sound, His dad mixed Heat of the Night in GA for many years). We came back later and hung out for few with Josh and crew and were treated very nice and outstanding. BTW thank you guys! Enjoyed it. No one tried to arrest us! They were above board and pros! Thanks guys for letting a southern sound mixer and his wife join you on your set! Cheers, Whit
Thanks Whit! It was a pleasure to have you and Kathy visit. Friends of sound usually don't have to worry about the cops....usually. If possible, I think it's nice to share some of the behind the scenes "magic." If it gets people interested in the show and gets them to tune in, my employment gets a little more secure (btw, we premiered 2 episodes last night, but they should be available on iTunes and NBC.com if you missed them). Though, my sister, when visiting "Law & Order" took a look at all of the sets, grids and lights and said "don't ever get a job on 'Grey's Anatomy' cause I like that show and don't want you to ruin it for me. Anyways, it was great to meet you in person, Whit. Josh

Thanks Whit! It was a pleasure to have you and Kathy visit. Friends of sound usually don't have to worry about the cops....usually. If possible, I think it's nice to share some of the behind the scenes "magic." If it gets people interested in the show and gets them to tune in, my employment gets a little more secure (btw, we premiered 2 episodes last night, but they should be available on iTunes and NBC.com if you missed them). Though, my sister, when visiting "Law & Order" took a look at all of the sets, grids and lights and said "don't ever get a job on 'Grey's Anatomy' cause I like that show and don't want you to ruin it for me. Anyways, it was great to meet you in person, Whit. Josh

Kathy and I will look for Smash on itunes and NBC.com tonight.

Thanks!

Whit

• 1 year later...

That effin has ruined many a take. While shooting "Mr.Deeds" with Adam Sandler we set up an intimate scene at the top of a brownstone stoop. Quiet scene in the middle of the night. Easly boomable. In the background all you could here is 'click,click,click'. 'Click,click,click' Steve Sands was on the next stoop 10' away shooting. Those days it was film stills so it was loud! And that is why Chris Woodcock, this guy is so hated. A producer got him in the union just to keep him off the set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk