Best Lav to Rent with Zoom H1 as a bodypack

MattRobertson7

Hey guys,

Got kind of a noob question here, i've been searching this forum for the past hour or so/google and can't seem to find a good answer on this. I have an upcoming shoot coming up where I will be touring with a few poets/speakers and we will have 4 shows in 4 nights, and i'm looking to rent some lav's along with a couple zoom h1 units to use as body pack recorders. I won't have time/budget really to rent a few sennheiser g3 packs, and dont' want to deal with the hassle of setting up all 3 effetively for each show, and it would see much more logical to be able to just stick a zoom h1 in each of their pockets (there are 3 preformers), and hide a lav on them. I have a dpa 4061 (2x) and a DPA 4060, but I don't believe that these would be powered by the zoom h1 plug in power, yes? It seems like some other lavs such as the countryman b6 MIGHT work, but i'm not sure what would be the best option. I would like to rent from the online rental shops and here is what I would be available to get:

Countryman B3

Countryman B6

Sennheiser MKE 2 Gold

I don't have a zoom h1 with me so I can't confirm that the DPA's won't work, however I don't believe they will. 

Any thoughts? 

I would take a look at the Rode Lavalier or the Pinmic.

The Rode Lavalier requires 2V-5V power, and the H1 seems to be providing a number like that... 

The DPAs require 5V minimum though...

Check the respective sites for the specs:

http://www.rodemic.com/mics/lavalier

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=Item&category=128&item=24035#specifications

Do you need to hide the mics?

I would suggest either a Cos-11 or TR-50's. From your list: The Sennheiser MKE-2 is okay but harder to hide.

Nah not super interested in having to hide them. And to be honest the audio isn't SUPER critical. I'll probably error on the side of making it visible vs. risking clothing noise hiding it.

And i'll check out that rode pin mic! Heard that it did work with plug in power which is nice. 

So the cos-11 and the tr-50's would work? I've used a cos-11 before (actually had one and foolishly sold it) and heard lots about the tr-50's before.

Thanks guys

I won't have time/budget really to rent a few sennheiser g3 packs, and dont' want to deal with the hassle of setting up all 3 effetively for each show...

And to be honest the audio isn't SUPER critical. 

Respectfully,

You don't even need to ask for professional advice then. If the audio isn't critical (no such thing by the way), and it's too much hassle, why even ask?

I think what he meant to say was that it's okay if the sound isn't "perfect", unlike what we are used to trying to achieve.

But ya they are right in a sense; you may not need professional advice either... but then again, isn't this group for just that? Providing answers/commentary to unknowns?

If you're going to use the Cos-11 or TR-50 hard wired, you need to get a battery system to feed the mic some power. May be more expensive, but your sound will be better. Make sure you pay attention to what output you choose for the power supply. Depending on the cabling and inputs you have on your recording device. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/262967-REG/Tram_TR79ML_TR_79_Power_Supply.html