Eneloop Batteries and chargers

Whit Norris

• 2 weeks later...

With all this discussion I decided to purchase a bunch of Eneloop AA XX batteries and a couple of the Powerex MH-C800S chargers.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/766725-REG/Sanyo_XX_Powered_by_Eneloop.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/883785-REG/Powerex_MH_C800S_8_Cell_Smart_Charger.html

So far I'm pretty pleased. They last longer than a standard alkaline AA, and I am getting about 3 1/2 hours in my Lectrosonics SMv transmitters with the 50mw setting. I do wish they'd run the SMv a little longer, but overall I think this was a good investment. I'll still need to keep a few Lithiums around however, for when I occationally need longer run times or for doing a live show.

Tom

I own the AA white 2000 mAh white Ni - Mh batteries. For a small gig that doesn't require a bunch of lectros and a nomad, I take out a simple bag. It's like a "bug out" bag for audio I keep at the ready like people have on that show Doomsday Preppers. It consists of a zoom, a small mixer, and g3's that are powered all on eneloops. 

I carry enough batteries for two fresh sets. Usually I can make it through a day with two sets of batteries for all the gear if I manage power. If there is a long break between scenes or lunch, I turn off everything. As a back up, I carry a case of 24 alkalines that aren't rechargeable. 

I charge the eneloop batteries if I don't use them once a month. If it is multiday shoot, I will charge them between days. I also carry chargers so if I do change sets, I can charge the ones I just used as I am burning a fresh set. I have the chargers that hold 4 that are made by eneloop. 

The eneloops will also power my Nomad. I haven't done that yet for a project.

I've been using the same white 1600mah eneloop (x16) for the past 9 months with zero problems. I use the la crosse bc-1000 charger. I power smqv, zax (t)rx 900 and occasionally my 552. They power my 250mw trx for over 3 hours. Second only to lithium. I couldn't be happier.

@Derek,  I don't think we will ever see them.  I've read that they operate at too high a voltage to meet only a 1.5-1.7v capacity. 

Case in point:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/protected-14500-lithium.html

these operate at 3.6v.  For what, I don't know - possibly combined together for a charger pack for an RC car or something.

I remember a post here awhile back (from my not-so-reliable memory, it may have been from Larry Fisher). It boiled down to the cost of producing a rechargeable lithium 1.5V AA vs the gained capacity over current NiMH batteries. The math didn't add up.

If you think about it, if there was a way to make money off rechageable 1.5V AA lithiums, they'd be out there already.

@Derek,  I don't think we will ever see them.  I've read that they operate at too high a voltage to meet only a 1.5-1.7v capacity. 

Case in point:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/protected-14500-lithium.html

these operate at 3.6v.  For what, I don't know - possibly combined together for a charger pack for an RC car or something.

There are lithium rechargeables that are AA-sized, but as mentioned, they operate at over 3V when full. IF you had a device that needed two normal (1.5v) AA's in serial AND could handle the extra .6v that these batteries produce, you COULD make a custom unit with two of these lithium rechargeables in parallel but you would end up with a 3.6V ~1500maH rechargeable pack. 

Two NimH 1.2v's in serial gives you a (3V at starting voltage, drops to 2.5 pretty fast) 2200-2800mah battery.

I've been using LSD 240mAh Imedions in everything for a couple of years now and I've been happy with them. Very. I bought them on recommendations made here and haven't looked back. 

They all arrived (on different occasions) with capacity that exceeds their rating. Two years later only a couple have have dropped below their listed 2400mAh. 

I can power my 552 all day on location, and in the EW-G3s they last 10 hours easily; for the doc-style and run-n-gun productions I tend to work on, they are ideal. 

The only caveat is that I believe they might push the physical limits of the AA-spec and so there may actually be a device or two where they are snug and/or don't fit - I haven't experienced the "don't fit" part but they are snug in the old white wireless mighty-mice.

I use two chargers - the 8-bay MAHA one which has a soft-charging and a condition feature and a LaCrosse 4-bay charger that allows me to occasionally analyse and/or refresh the cells. 

On the Lithium front, I imagine the chemistry is still too volatile for "dumb" cells. Most lithium cells require some kind of controller and/or management system as far as I know and the best ones include thermal management as part of that.

What that means for us is that it (controller) either has to go into the packs (using space that could be used to generate a reaction) or a dedicated controller in the device which means each cell has to be exactly to a spec. This is a great amount of supposition on my part but following the Leaf battery issues (not to mention the most recent NY Times dust-up with Tesla) shows just poor our relationship is with small-footprint, high density battery systems. 

I'd really really like to be wrong though but until then, Imedions it is!