Nasal wheeze.

Edmond Smith

Hey everyone, hope all is well.

There have been a many moments where the talent's nostrils will wheeze if not whistle through some scenes making it pretty difficult to pay attention to the dialogue, for the audience at least.

So! My question to you all is; what solutions, if any, may I use to solve this problem of the nasal wheeze?

The only things I can think of is:

Blow the nose and hope it works.

Wild the non-wheeze breath (if needed)  and take out the wheeze in post.

Your reply's are very much appreciated!

Take  Care,

Edmond Smith

Coffey Sound sells nostril spreaders (I forgot the product name) that work great.  They're basically small cylinders that can be inserted into each nostril that spread them to let more air in. To prevent accidentally inhaling them into your lungs, there is a short mono-filament line that goes under the nose connecting the two cylinders.  Make sure you order different sizes (S, M, L) for different size noses.  When I was working on "The Streets of San Fransisco" with Karl Malden, the Post Super was amazed at how I solved Karl's nose whistling.  Thanks Coffey Sound!

P.S. There was an old post on JWS where someone drew a diagram on how he made his own.  Maybe someone can find that.

Here's Coffey Sounds #.  (323) 876-7525  in case you want to order any.  IMO every sound mixer should have some in their kit.

Save it for April 1st mirror. Blacksmith asked a legit question. At lest say you don't know of any solution after your stand up bit.

Edmond, have a conversation w the director. If he's not concerned, you shouldn't be. I've recorded many wheezers and they used the recordings. I'm sure the dialog editors had to work harder but there is no magic to recording things like that.

CrewC

Save it for April 1st mirror. Blacksmith asked a legit question. At lest say you don't know of any solution after your stand up bit.

Edmond, have a conversation w the director. If he's not concerned, you shouldn't be. I've recorded many wheezers and they used the recordings. I'm sure the dialog editors had to work harder but there is no magic to recording things like that.

CrewC

It seems Crew has no sense of humor today.  I'm afraid he's turned into a cranky old man.  Too bad, he use to be fun. 

Don't worry about my sense of humor, it is alive and well. Worry about your strange way of dealing with someone seeking info or guidance. You may find it funny to send a new guy/PA to find a box of F stops or the keys to the dolly but this is not really what this site is about. I'll go back n forth all day w you doing yo mamma jokes if that's your idea of funny but let's help those who come here seeking advice.

CrewC

This was one of our top sellers, but unfortunately it has been discontinued.

Careful, don't offend anyone.   (I personaly have 2 of those.  Mr Malden refused to wear them and Coffey wouldn't take them back after they had been up Karl's nose.)

BTW I've never worked on "The Streets of San Francisco" nor with Karl Malden least anyone take that as truth and question my integrity.  I can't believe I just had to write that.

• 3 weeks later...

Jimmy Gandolfini has such a thing and nothing on set was ever done to correct it. Having watched "The Sopranos," can safely say they fixed it in post.

Unless your particular talent has developed their circular breathing, I think it's impossible to both speak and nose-wheeze at the same time.

It's a tough call. If you think it can be fixed by nose blowing, and you think it's distracting, and you think your show doesn't have the time/money/skill to fix it in post, then have a chat with the director.

Usually, as Jan describes, it's just a thing some people have. So probably best to leave it alone.

Robert

We have a heavy breather on our show. Only time it's been a problem was when the actor stood 6 inches from another actor while they both spoke......quietly. And post did a great job at lessening the damage on the other actors dialog. Being on an episodic, we bypassed the director, since we had a strong relationship with the actor. But if you don't have that relationship, director is the first stop, always. We have also stepped the offending actor back off-camera to help, when others are getting their "close-up".

" Being on an episodic, we bypassed the director, since we had a strong relationship with the actor. "

this brings up an interesting point...

On episodic television , the episode directors are often just on the show for their episodes, so a lot of things, like this example, go through different channels of communication than on "movies"

" Being on an episodic, we bypassed the director, since we had a strong relationship with the actor. "

this brings up an interesting point...

On episodic television , the episode directors are often just on the show for their episodes, so a lot of things, like this example, go through different channels of communication than on "movies"

Interesting side point, very true

Jimmy Gandolfini has such a thing and nothing on set was ever done to correct it. Having watched "The Sopranos," can safely say they fixed it in post.

Good point -- Gandolfini did definitely have some breathing problems that were occasionally audible on The Sopranos. 

I worked on a sitcom about 8-9 years ago with actor Brian Dennehy -- a very big man -- and he had this slight wheeze as well. Great actor. I think they ducked the breaths and wheezes in post when possible, so they were audible, but at a much lower level.

Coffey Sound sells nostril spreaders (I forgot the product name) that work great.  They're basically small cylinders that can be inserted into each nostril that spread them to let more air in. To prevent accidentally inhaling them into your lungs, there is a short mono-filament line that goes under the nose connecting the two cylinders.  Make sure you order different sizes (S, M, L) for different size noses.  When I was working on "The Streets of San Fransisco" with Karl Malden, the Post Super was amazed at how I solved Karl's nose whistling.  Thanks Coffey Sound!

P.S. There was an old post on JWS where someone drew a diagram on how he made his own.  Maybe someone can find that.

Here's Coffey Sounds #.  (323) 876-7525  in case you want to order any.  IMO every sound mixer should have some in their kit.

Damn it. I actually thought that was real for a second.... 

Has to be some kind of nasal congestion problem. Maybe nasal sprays? Antihistamines? Decongestion? Things like will probably help. There's something they do called irrigation for noses where salt water is run through the nostrils. 

All this stuff is for personal health. Don't know how it would fly on the set. 

I once had some problems during the winter of wheezing through my nose, while production mixing. Since I'm not on camera, I just breathed through my mouth when that happened. 

Sawrab

I think a lot of it is the nasal passages farther up in the nose, or a deviated septum. Speaking from personal experience, I had bad nasal passage routing that lead to a lot of sinus infections, and they got worse after some major facial trauma. I eventually had to have surgery to fix mine because of the cronic sinus infections. 

I never had the nasal wheeze to the degree you talk about, but I can sometimes identify that sound. Honestly a neti pot (salt water rinse) is REALLY effective, but it doesn't just clear out everything at once, you need to keep doing it so the inflammation goes down over time. People with allergies use a neti pot every day or so to manage their nasal passages, it's not a magic drug that makes you feel ok in a few hours.