Lightweight cables for audio bag

Robert Buncher

I am setting up an audio bag for the SD664 which I recently received and am pondering what cable to use for the Lectro to mixer input connections, right angle XLR to straight XLR. I want to keep the bag as light and uncluttered as possible.

I have some Canare L-2E5 on hand and though that it might be the ticket however I also have some Mogami 2697 which would be very lightweight. I think the 2697 might be good for this usage--short cables that never leave the bag.

Does anyone have an opinion on these cables or a better recommendation?

Thanks,

Bob

These Kortwich cables are very cool:

post-4437-0-20701300-1359039618.jpg

Discussed by John Williams here:

and again by the group here:

The half-sized XLRs are tough to make, but they work great in a bag in terms of space. I also used some Tech-Flex cable wrap to tidy up the cable bundle as it extends through the bag. Kortwich in Germany can provide the connectors (and custom cables) if you'd rather buy them ready-made, but they are not inexpensive:

http://www.filmtontechnik.de/service.html

What blows my mind is that they also have special right-angled designs for TA3 and Lemo connectors, which are pretty amazing. I don't think the wire itself matters as long as it's well-shielded and flexible, and there's a ton of decent cables out there that will fit that bill. 

Those Kortwich connectors sure are pretty. I had thought about making some but then figured the more important thing to do is get the mixer running. I'm using regular Neutrik XLR's with the colored end caps for easy ID in the bag.

Once that is done I might think about pimping out the the equipment.

Can you buy the Kortwich connecters by themselves? I've not been able o locate them as such.

You can, but they're incredibly expensive. The discussions I linked to show how it's possible to saw them in half with a hacksaw (held by a vice clamp), permanently solder on the wire, then epoxy the connector shut with a plastic cap on the end (by hand). This saves $30 per connector if you do all the work yourself. It takes a few tries to figure out how to do it right, but it can work.

Take it from me: be sure to engineer some strain relief on the part of the cable that goes into the connector! And I like the idea of using color coded boots (and or labeling) to distinguish the connectors, plus bundling them in TechFlex cable covers.

• 2 weeks later...

You could possibly  cut a Switchcraft TA3F crimp-down strain relief and solder that to the XLR shell to provide adequate strain relief on the cable itself. You might be able to get two or three of the crimp-down fingers into the XLR shell, but it will no doubt be a tight fit and take some small degree of craftsmanship to do right.

• 1 month later...

i was going to make my own cut down right angle connectors but then vin posted about these:

i decided to wait (6 months?) and see how they are. my main reason is like  the idea of being able to repair a cable and/or re-orientate the direction the cable exits.

dan.