Oscar Nominations

Jeff Wexler

Achievement in sound mixing

"The Bourne Ultimatum" (Universal) Scott Millan, David Parker and Kirk Francis

"No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage): Skip Lievsay, Craig Berkey, Greg Orloff and Peter Kurland

"Ratatouille" (Walt Disney): Randy Thom, Michael Semanick and Doc Kane

"3:10 to Yuma" (Lionsgate): Paul Massey, David Giammarco and Jim Stuebe

"Transformers" (DreamWorks and Paramount in association with Hasbro): Kevin O'Connell, Greg P. Russell and Peter J. Devlin

Congratulations to all those nominated!

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Frank,

It's for SOUND MIXING - which is for the totality of the final soundtrack. The two (it used to be 3) Rerecording Mixers are deftly mixing ALL the sound elements; the original dialogue, the ADR, the sound effects and music for what we finally see and hear.

In the case of Ratatouille, Doc Kane is credited as the Original Dialogue Mixer - taking the place of a Production Sound Mixer.

As a voting member of the Academy Sound Branch, I consider the work on the modern animated films to be as good as live action films and I don't think of their work as any different.

I look at my work as one of the many elements that makes a great sounding film. I don't consider the difficulty of the Mixers job, but the quality of the entire sound in judging whether I will nominate it or not.

Regards,

Richard Lightstone, CAS