The Wet Continues

chris_bollard

Hi All

The wet weather continues (in Sydney - still no talk of the drought being declared over) and was looking for comments on ways to waterproof Rycote zeppelins - with 416 under heavy rain everything usually stops after 20- 30 minutes. Really surprised the mic lasts that long.

I've got 4 camera units (in the rain, if it's raining) with 416 full zep/windjammer combo and would love to hear from someone that has used or sells something that will keep them ticking over. Not so worried about the sound of the rain hitting the blimp (it's obvious it's raining) but would like to keep the 416 nice and dry so the fun can keep on happening.

Thanks

Hi All

The wet weather continues (in Sydney - still no talk of the drought being declared over) and was looking for comments on ways to waterproof Rycote zeppelins - with 416 under heavy rain everything usually stops after 20- 30 minutes. Really surprised the mic lasts that long.

I've got 4 camera units (in the rain, if it's raining) with 416 full zep/windjammer combo and would love to hear from someone that has used or sells something that will keep them ticking over. Not so worried about the sound of the rain hitting the blimp (it's obvious it's raining) but would like to keep the 416 nice and dry so the fun can keep on happening.

Thanks

Chris,

try searching for "hogs hair". you remove the windjammer and put this sort of synthetic green material over the windshield,(as you would with the wj) and it will dampen the rain drops.

most of the audio vendors have them. is the production shop near you? (Graham Hicks??)

Gd lk,

Chris,

In case you don't have these -- it's worth also investing in the "waterproof" neutrik connectors. Part no's: NC3MX-HD and NC3FX-HD.

When I was shooting in the incessant rain in Hawaii this prevented the water leaking into the boom pole connection with the cable from the microphone.

Regards,

Richard Lightstone, CAS

post-284-130815075915_thumb.jpg

post-284-130815075922_thumb.jpg

I've used condoms for many water proofing jobs with radios and mics over the years. We just did a Mountain Dew job where we made rain with many big rain towers, and used a mkh70 w a condom over the mic and roll off switches, tied off with rubber bands. We put the wind sock on and mounted it in the Zeppelin and then used a New York Times plastic bag to cover the ass end of the rig, then put on the wind jammer. We used this rig the whole commercial. It got soaked to the wind jammer, but not a drop on the interior wind sock and the mic was dry under the condom. The sound was good enough to make it to air, but with shots like that, actors tend to yell just to hear themselves. If you try this, two things to remember. One. use new ones, the old one tend to brake. Two, use non lubricated one for all the obvious reasons. And be prepared for all the set wits to make comments. Also a cranky boom op will be a concern. I have and use a Hogs Hair cover for my mkh60 n Zeppelin and it works fine as well, but we always use the rubbers as well. As for radio mics, I have used them, but they are a pain when changing batts, cause the rig is time consuming. Scott show a nice radio rig for water proofing not long ago. Very custom. Always practice safe sound.

CrewC

Dear Chris,

The humidity will ruin your mics –even if you keep the rain out.

An after effect of wet environments is the condensation that keeps forming inside your mics...….

On one show -- sixty days of rain and high humidity -- I built capsules from 3" diameter PVC tubes and then capped and sealed these enclosures with a "secret ingredient "... I found a product in Louisiana --"Zorb-It" this maintained a constant low humidity, easily accessible place to dry my exposed mics. 

Zorbit will equalize the moisture within the tube...  "The caution" -- If you leave the packets in a place that is exposed to moisture and then place the packet into the sealed PVC tube with your mic -- It will release some of its moisture and balance the atmosphere within the tube... The packets have to be completely dry to fully work fast…

Link to Zorb-it: http://www.zorb-it.com

41041 Black Bayou Rd.

Gonzales

LA 70737

USA

Sincerely

Ron Scelza CAS

If you try this, two things to remember. One. use new ones, the old one tend to brake. Two, use non lubricated one for all the obvious reasons.

too funny....I thought you were about to say something else regarding "new" ones. But you forgot to say to buy the "Magnums"! Extra large! Unless you use the CS1:)

How much does the condom effect the sound? It being waterproof and not allowing air to penetrate, I have to image it's significant, defiantly not transparent!

Will this work well underwater? (obviously without the zeppelin!)

Hey Michael, everything effects a mic, Zeps, windjammers, etc so I'm sure a rubber does as well, but not enough to matter in shots where you are making rain, or it is naturally raining and a certain noise floor is created. My main concern in situations such as these is to protect the gear. Very important to dry all components of the system,Zep, jammer, and for sure the mic. Don't leave it sheathed any longer than necessary, and don't throw the rubber on the ground. Toss it on the video assist cart. Once a while back, when Peter Commans was my boom op, we had a gig on the Kern River where this kayaker says a bunch of lines as he roars down various parts of the river. The big end line came after he shoots a small falls says a line and then he does a barrow roll and says the tag line "buy blah blah.." We water proofed the transmitter with condoms, and the capsule as well and ran the mic under his helmet, and had it come out under the little bill that exists on those helmets. It made an wild rushing sound as he was under, but when he popped up, you heard him loud and clear. We got paid, the commercial got played, and I still have the radio, though it is one I never use. Might break it out if we ever go back to the Kern. Last night it was pouring in L A as we shot, but we were mostly recording fx when we were out side, so we kept it under pop us until we rolled. What a cluster.

CrewC

If the rubber were put on backwards, then it would protect the electronic part, and keep water from hitting the (downward facing) capsule. Water might get on the exposed part of the interference tube (depending on what size mic/rubber combo you have), and drip down the tip of the mic, but I imagine that the actual damage happens when it hits the guts. I imagine that humidity alone will affect the electronics eventually, but  if it lets you operate as usual for a longer period of time, then that's progress. Also, that "Chinese Work Hat" idea sounds interesting. It could be made from a small piece of plastic sheeting, tacked with rubber cement to seal the gaps, and also to affix some hogs hair. I imagine the whole rig would add mere ounces to the entire boom rig, much less than a soaked wind jammer!

Tom