Holy cow OS 10.8.2 is super fast

I generally found that with OS X updates. I had a G4 tower that came with OS9. Every full version of OS X made that computer a bit faster until I replaced it with an iMac in 2006, and felt the same way for the next 6 years till I got a Mini. Apple must do some very intentional work to keep OS X fast on existing machines. MS Windows often seems to push a lot of the latest hardware technology in the OS itself, so it's not as smooth on older machines. Kind of odd when you consider MS doesn't make much off (other people's) hardware. If OS X sucked on a 3 year old Mac, you might be more inclined to buy another Apple computer. 

Maybe it has to do with people actively learning how to code to chips as time goes on? There must be a reason the Mars Curiosity Rover runs a hardened military grade chip that is really a G3 processor (similar to the processor in the original gumdrop iMac). 

At some point I worry about the security of an old OS, otherwise most stuff is not mission critical. I *like* a lot of the 10.8 features, but I have an old MacBook that can't run it and that machine is fine under 10.7 

It's one of those black plastic MacBooks that I take on the road in case I need to connect to a recorder, or do something to audio files. If i lost it, I wouldn't cry much. I usually don't even power it up unless I use it for work, but if I use it on a hotel WiFi network, I like having *relatively* up to date software. That said, at the college radio station I help out at, we have some early 2006 iMacs running 10.4 or 10.5 and they are fine on a college network (possibly the most dangerous networks in the country). They are running 24/7 and never seem to have been attacked, though we had a poorly maintained Windows machine on that network for less than a week and it was a zombie sending out thousands of spam emails a minute. Scary because it's sole purpose was to be part of the Emergency Alert System. 

At some point I worry about the security of an old OS, otherwise most stuff is not mission critical. I *like* a lot of the 10.8 features, but I have an old MacBook that can't run it and that machine is fine under 10.7 

It's one of those black plastic MacBooks that I take on the road in case I need to connect to a recorder, or do something to audio files. If i lost it, I wouldn't cry much. I usually don't even power it up unless I use it for work, but if I use it on a hotel WiFi network, I like having *relatively* up to date software. That said, at the college radio station I help out at, we have some early 2006 iMacs running 10.4 or 10.5 and they are fine on a college network (possibly the most dangerous networks in the country). They are running 24/7 and never seem to have been attacked, though we had a poorly maintained Windows machine on that network for less than a week and it was a zombie sending out thousands of spam emails a minute. Scary because it's sole purpose was to be part of the Emergency Alert System. 

hahaha..all too funny.

I remember my Info Security Tech. (IST) professor would tell us that our school was attacked over a million times a day. Apparently schools are a huge target for attacks with most of them stemming from China. The ironic part was that the class, which was sponsored by the CIA, had frequently gone to China to teach IST classes and had a pretty good student exchange program with them as well. 

It has been said that some internet attacks that appear to be from China actually have forged headers and "pseudo" IP addresses, and are actually being relayed from another location in the world... maybe Korea, maybe Russia, maybe somewhere else. There's a lotta weird hackers out there.

Love this episode of Ted talks he talks about virus's he actually went to the residence of the guys who put out the very first computer virus a long time ago...since they're names and addresses were actually in the code back then.

I've been running 10.8.2 for a few weeks now, and I haven't noticed any speed increases. Just some different ways of doing things. I don't like that they took away the 4 "desktops" that were arranged in a square formation and made it all linear. Also, the gestures don't work reliably, so I don't use them at all. I don't use the launchpad. I don't use the notification center. I don't like what they did with mail. I don't like the new iTunes interface. 

jeez...I sound like Toline....

I've been running 10.8.2 for a few weeks now, and I haven't noticed any speed increases. Just some different ways of doing things. I don't like that they took away the 4 "desktops" that were arranged in a square formation and made it all linear. Also, the gestures don't work reliably, so I don't use them at all. I don't use the launchpad. I don't use the notification center. I don't like what they did with mail. I don't like the new iTunes interface. 

jeez...I sound like Toline....

Hey, Dave, maybe Windows 8?