Recording a heartbeat

jason porter

I have a project coming up that requires me to record a heartbeat (actual, not simulated).

Any ideas?

I have a contact mic, but it does not pickup anything.

A stethoscope works well (with a lav stuck in the 'earphone'), but I am hoping to find something lower profile, something that can be plugged into a small flash recorder (or a Tx if I have to)

Hi Alexander,

It is for a science/biology project for the big science channel up here in Canada. It can be done in post, but we are going to try to get it live.

Last week I used a stethoscope to record a sword swallower doing his thing. I got some good internal body sounds through the chest as well as some excellent 'sliding' sounds when I taped the stethoscope to the sword hilt. We were also x-raying him at the same time.

We have a couple more shoots in a similar vein so I was trying to find a more elegant solution (something that looks better on camera)

This isn't a live recording is it? I can't think of a situation that would need that...

I've picked up heartbeats before with lavaliers, but not because I wanted to. =)

Edit: Some context would be great. I'm mostly just very interested.