Mixing on Skis?

Ryan Farber

I've worked on skies twice. And since I am a good skier it was fine and lots of fun.

No ski poles of course. Two talent on wireless, wireless cam hop. I did have a boom (mkh416) and used it a few times, but if you can do without, I recommend it. Someone mentioned a mic with pistol grip instead of boom pole, which would be a nice backup and less to get caught somewhere.

We did moving shots and stationary.

Like other posters, we had full cooperation of the resorts.

Keep it light and tight. Don't wanna catch any random cable hanging out on the lift and not be able to get off the chair at the top! :-)

Good luck!

Mixed on skis in the Swiss alpen for a PBS travel show a couple years ago. Lavs (with Rycote Fuzzies) on host and his guest with an MHK-60 into a SD 302 rigged in a waist pack situated in front. Wireless hop to camera and back up recorder in bag. No poles of course as in another comment. My biggest concern was if I were to take a spill and get jabbed by the boom, but gladly neither happened.

The host and his guest were both experts on skis with the guest having been an Olympic competitor so keeping up with the two of them turned out to be the bigger challenge than getting good sound throughout as the gear and set up worked just great.

It was super fun "work" even getting paid to do a sport I've loved since I was a kid. These kinda days balance out those spent working a boom on your feet in the sun all day. A bunch of sound from the slopes got used in the show which was gratifying as well.

post-3071-0-96534000-1402070625_thumb.pn