New Rycote Rain Product

Reading the "Wet" thread, I thought that this new Rycote rain product might be of interest to the group. It is designed for more static applications than booming but, I am sure it could be adapted by closing the end somehow before mounting it on a pole. $130.00 retail.

http://www.rycote.com/products/accessories/duck/

Steve J.

salesguy,

I saw that the other day, set up on a mic next to the tee box on a golf tourney on tv (actually 2 of them, each side) some networks really like to bring up the mics when golfers are teeing off, and some networks don't give you the effect very well. but this instance you "heard" the mics very nice with the foam cover.

I wonder how it would work in a boom man's hands. probably better than the scratchy hogs hair.

thanks.

I saw a doco recently where the sound mixer had something that looked like a microfibre overcover with the front 1/4 of the windjammer popping out.It had a zip at the rear.It looked similar to the material that you get on a raincover for betacams that encase the mic as well.

BVS

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, my name is Charlie. I've been a boom operator for many years here in Vancouver. I manufacture microphone support products including a rain cover (for booming), the name is Pistol Microphone support products. These products have been around since 1998 are very slick, light weight and pretty much support any microphone suspension so you can hold your xlr connector. It also gives you another chose over the rycote handle. With this set up you can easily click on your lectrosonic wireless plug-on or con-box. The rain cover slips over your zepplin and completely protects your microphone and a plug-on. This product has been in use in Vancouver for many years and has been used on many productions by all mixers in Vancouver. The product is super lightweight and reuseable for many years. Currently I'm working on the movie Watchmen and have used it under rain trusses over and over. It has been used on productions including Mission to Mars, Underworld Evolution, Two for the Money, The Pledge, X-Men 3, Are We Done Yet? and many other productions. Trew Audio here in Vancouver sell them and can explain the use. Talk to Dion or Rick or Jason. Currently the price is $79.99. You can also call me directly at 604-240-1116cell. I'm sure you will be happy with this product, Vancouver is famous for rain.

Thanks, Charlie